2+2 115 merc

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
im having some trouble losing spark on a merc 115.<br />ive done some testing with a dva, running, cranking and disconnected on the stator and pickup coils. i dont have any reference however i just took notes. does anyone have a link or the specs on the top of their head for this ignition system? thanks in advance :)

Laddies

Banned
Re: 2+2 115 merc

Stator red/red white=20+volts--blue/blue white=180+ volts<br />trigger 4+volts<br />box output 150+ volts

bigbrownbuku

are those figures connected or disconnected laddies? running my readings were much higher. stator was 310 triggers were 7 and box output was 250+<br />im only losing spark on cylinders 3 and 4 i should note. its been a donkies age since i worked on mercs fulltime but i seem to recall bad triggers can screw a pack and replacing the pack will result in the same end if you dont replace a bad trigger.

Laddies

Banned

At idle hooked up, Whats it not doing if its a high speed miss try it with rectifier disconnected and see if the miss goes away--Bob

bigbrownbuku

its spark loss right from the get go on the bottom 2 cylinders. its not noticable at idle for obvious reasons. at high speed it will spark on the bottom cylinders intermittantly.

Laddies

Banned

Change the position of the red and the red white wires and the blue blue white wires on the switch box if the spark stays on the same cyls. you have a bad box if it goes to the other 2 cyls you have a bad stator--Bob

bigbrownbuku

2 of the stator wires go straight to the switchbox and 2 go go thru a small chocolate bar sized box enroute to the switchbox located next to the starter. if you could post a schematic or a link of the electrical it would help me a lot.<br />thanks in advance.

bigbrownbuku

no voltage brown or black trigger wires after a while. needed to heat it up before it stopped working. new trigger otw!

bigbrownbuku

today i started the job of changing the triggers. pulled the starter and the last dude that had the starter off squashed the trigger wires so badly behind the starter the black and brown trigger insulation had failed and they were shorting each other out. didnt show on a short to ground test, didnt show on an ohms test, most of the time it would read voltage at idle with no load. one of those things.