1st time buyer--advice needed

motorboater

Recruit
Hello everyone! Nice site.. My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat,probably a used one, no earlier than 95 or 96. We have been looking at and studing boats for a couple of months now and sometimes it can all be rather confusing. We know that we want a 24-26 ft. cruiser. We really like the SeaRay and Regal brands. Chaparral and Wellcraft also look nice. SeaRay seems to be the most popular brand here in the Jacksonville area with Regal and Wellcraft coming in 2nd. I would just as well stay away from Bayliner. All the controversy has scarred us off! I also know that SeaRay and Bayliner have the same parent company. It also appears that SeaRay has the best resale value. We have a LOT to learn about boating so any advise anyone has to offer will be much appreciated. Thanks!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1st time buyer--advice needed

Howdy, Motorboater.<br /><br />I don't have any arguments with what you have figured out so far.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure any boat you buy includes an in water test as well as checking out the hull on a trailer. Look for any spider cracking or blisters in the fiberglass. <br /><br />Considering the size of your investment, have a mechanic do a compression check and check the outdrive oil. Well worth an hour's labour to see if the boat needs a minimum of $3000 plus in mechanical repairs! Make sure the fuse panel is in decent shape and no breakers need magic reseting. <br />It is your right as a customer to ask for an inspection and I am sure there are lots of horror stories that might never have happened if the purchasers had just done this prior to handing over a big cheque!<br /><br />I don't think boats should need safety certifications but you cannot trust everyone when it comes to your safety.

pchika

Recruit

What controversy is that? I have Bayliner, I'm very happy with it.

rml

Seaman

Motorboater - For ANY used boat, I would highly recommend a complete survey including sea trial. A few hundred dollars brings a lot of peace of mind. Here in Maine a certified marine surveyor charges between $15 and $17 per foot plus mileage. For my 24' it ran just over $400. Worth every penny.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br /> --rml

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In addition to everything listed above do yourself and and your wife a favor have the dealer teach you how to operate the boat. a Safety course would be good also.

mgdavidson

Recruit

If you are buying used, don't forget to look closely at the trailer also. There were problems not obvious to me until the boat was off the trailer. You are actually buying two vehicles.

thornious

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it is used DEFINTLEY have it checked by a pro. Take it from me I just bought a used boat ran it 2 days on Memorial weekend. Now I am putting a new motor on. I cant say for sure if the motor was bad or maybe I just messed something up. Anyway it sure would of been nice to know :confused:

motorboater

Recruit

Thank you all for your in-put! I think the seaRay or Regal will get the nod! Again, Nice site and thanks. :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Got a 1988 23' Wellcraft & it has been great!

horizon190

Recruit

Check out Four Winns I have owned two of them and loved them both. :p