1st time boat owner

Krakn

Cadet
Good morning members
I recently was gifted a 1995 Sea Ray 195BR. the engine runs smooth and the the only water in the boat is splashed in , so it is already a win win LOL.
The boat is a five series, does any one know what that means or is it just a label? I cant find much information on the boat
Ive had the boat looked over and outside of some fading of the gloss, it is in good shape for its age.
Any thing i should look our for on these boats?
the boat is going to be used primarily to cruise around on the lake and maybe pull a tube once the little ones get older.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A free boat is a wonderful thing and a great way to spend time with small kids.
SeaRay make nice boats and if maintained well they can last a long time. I'm not familiar enough with them to tell you what a five series is or anything boat specific to help you out. With that age of hull one thing you pay some attention to is wood rot that can occur in stringers and floors. Wood is not a bad thing at all; in fact it's not many great qualities for boat construction. It's just something to watch, if your boat has it.
Enjoy

roffey

Commander
I checked around and could not come up with much so if I were to offer info on series 5 it would be a guess, lol. Someone here will know. As far as I know Sea Ray is a higher end boat. It looks like you have a great starter boat, maybe even a keeper. Good luck with your new obsession, lol.

oh, and welcome board... :welcome:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Over the years SeaRay has had many changes in model designations. E.G.,Their Signature series at one time designated their top end models. The 5 Series were more basic boats, and they came with a 5 year warranty.

My guess is that the "5" refers to the warranty. Regardless, even SeaRay's "starter" boats were not cheap or low end by any means.

sillyhilley

Cadet
Welcome!! The only thing to watch for is the moisture content in your stringers and tandem. They are both made out of wood and wrapped with fiberglass. You will hear the word “dry rot”. Sea ray did a great job building and making sure no water gets to the wood but things happen. See ray.com web site have a care/maintenance guidelines to follow. Have your hall number ready and they can tell you all you need to know. Find a good boat DOC and let him worry about all that. You just enjoy the great times ahead!!

Krakn

Cadet
THANK YOU ALL
I look forward making the memories...even if the wallet takes a hit LOL