1st Time Boat Owner here

qmrichardson

Seaman
Just purchased this 1982 starcraft 16 footer for $1,300. It's got a 1983 model Johnson 50hp motor and also came with a good trolling motor and three good batteries (1 for the motor and two for the trolling motor). The old man I bought it from said the motor runs great and the boat doesn't leak, we'll see how that works out for me... I plan to do some restoration on the boat in the coming years after learning how to do it myself. Anyway, I look forward to conversing with fellow starcraft owners here and hanging out.

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

mjames76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1st Time Boat Owner here

Dang good lookin boat right there. I am on my second starcraft resto I am beginning to think I may have a problem.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a steal, well done!

Welcome to the site.

Huron Angler

Admiral

QM welcome to the Starcraft club:)

Nice looking boat you've got there, and a good deal as well. Looks like it may have been an SS with dual consoles/walk-thru windshield at one time. If so it's the same boat I have only 3 years newer;)

Thanks for posting the pics, we love to check out these sweet tin cans:D

qmrichardson

Seaman

Thanks for the welcome. I took it out for the first time today and she ran fantastic. I was shocked the motor runs as well as it does. Only issue is that a buzzer went off in my shifter a couple different times. Any ideas what it could be? thanks

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I am also a first time boat owner. Well second if you count my 11 foot Coleman Crawdad with a 2.2 merc on it. I'm now into an 18' with a 140 horse inboard for power. I have no idea what I'm doing, but this forum is a real help to me. These guys are very helpful and so willing to share information.

Whatever questions you have someone has the answer The outboard forums are just as helpful. I asked a question in the Johnson Evinrude forum and the knowledge there is impressive as well.

Welcome to "Starcraft Nation" QM, nice looking boat.

Don

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks for the welcome. I took it out for the first time today and she ran fantastic. I was shocked the motor runs as well as it does. Only issue is that a buzzer went off in my shifter a couple different times. Any ideas what it could be? thanks

Welcome to the club. You will find lots of helpfull people here. I am pretty new as well and have found the people great. The Buzzer is telling you something may be wrong in the oiling,or cooling system. You will want to get a service manual for the motor, as it will tell you how to check this out.
Glen

qmrichardson

Seaman

Dozer, where's the best place to get the service manual? I really do need to learn about these motors cause I don't know anything as this is my first one. Thanks

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

The overheat buzzer? Is the tell tale spitting out warm water? Any steam?

fshngho

Lieutenant

QM, welcome. I think Dozier and Eric are right. I don't think that motor has an auto oiler, in other words, do you add the oil to the gas? If so, then the buzzer is the overheat warning. Like they said, check to see if its 'peeing' or you have a stream coming out when running.( a water hose dosen't work) More than likely you will need to put a water impeller in the lower unit. Actually you should do that anyway, I would highly recommend it. DO NOT take it out again untill that is fixed. An impeller costs $25.00 and up, but a rebuild job is in the thousands. Dale

dozerII

Admiral

GMR I orderd mine from Ebay it is and actual OMC manual and in my opinion way better than the Clymer or Seloc manuals. It is used but in new condition cost me $38.00. the seller was SEARAYMAN13 and he has them form many models, and great to deal with. Here is a link to his Ebay store.
http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/SEARAYMAN13__W0QQ_armrsZ1

qmrichardson

Seaman

fshngho - yeah I have to add oil to the gas and it also streams water out of the back. I'm still getting the impeller replaced though because I have no way of knowing when it was last replaced.

EZ - thanks for the link. I'm going to order me a service manual and get smart.