1st outboard. A few questions Mercury 135 hp 1350 70s model

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. I bought my 1st boat a few weeks ago. I have a 135 HP Mercury Black Max motor. Appears to be 70s model. Replaced all grounding straps and positive cable from starter to solenoid; I think. Replaced battery cables. Manual choke and electric choke are not wired or connected. Previous owner used flat head screwdriver to start. Even putting starting fluid in the carbs (3) it does not fire. There is a push button on the dash but is not wired. Going to replace plugs and wires this weekend. Will most likely replace most of the smaller wires this weekend also. I have muffs. Do I start the hose first or the motor first? Does the push button matter? I choked the motor by hand and it still would not fire. I am not sure where the spark or mech advance are set or how to find out. Not sure its important. Also will probably check the points are set up properly this weekend. Thanks in advance for any help figuring out how to start this thing.

Bill

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1st outboard. A few questions Mercury 135 hp 1350 70s model

Bill, Start small. Use some jumper cables to spin the motor and take a compression test. if it has even compression, it is likely worth fixing. Inspect the motor wiring. Find a wiring diaghram on the maxrules web site. That motor will require +12VDC on the red and adjacent white wires on the switchbox, in order to produce spark. There is a troubleshooting procedure on the CDI Electronics website.

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I will get a compression tester this weekend and I will print out wiring diagram tonight. I saw 1 last night and downloaded it to my pc.

Bill

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Printed wiring diagram. What gauge wire should I use? Can I use test leads and jump the red and white wires directly or should I run them through a kill switch? My control box is missing the choke button. And the PO used a flat head to start. Can I mount a key in the dash and a push button for the choke?

Thanks again;

Bill

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bill, Exactly what are you planning to do? Did you take the compression test? What are the results? Normally the MerControls of that era have a built in ign switch and choke button. What do you have? If no choke button, is keyswitch push to choke? Choke wire is grey.

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan to rewire the motor. Have not done compression test. Will be buying compression tester this weekend. The controls have a key switch and the choke button is no longer there. I am also repairing the floors and rewiring the boat. Just want to plan everything out so I can get a material list in order.

Bill

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled out my multimeter today. I have +12 vdc at red and white terminals. I have nothing at the green (top terminal) that connects to the coil. Is that correct? On the other side I only have power at the brown (bottom) terminal. No power to the black or white terminals that run into the distributor assembly. PO rewired switch box but only used red wire. Nothing is labeled. Wiring diagram shows routing only. Where can I get a diagram that shows which wires should receive power?

Thanks,

Bill

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bill, Green wire will get pulses of voltage when switchbox fires. It will not have steady power on it. Do you have OEM ign components?

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello:

Just for future reference, the term "Black Max" was used for the V-6 models, not the inline 6's.

HTH, Craig

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It appears to have OEM ignition components. PO did a real hack job on the plug wires. 3 wires did not have any wire exposed. They were run real well. The end that was inside the coil had some kind of goop over the brass. It was dried so I scraped it off with a screw driver. I already ordered a set of wires. Will probably get a coil as well. I took some pics of the motor. How can I post them? Can I post from my pc or do I need to sign up for photobucket?

Thanks;

Bill

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cobia pics 005.jpgCobia pics 006.jpgCobia pics 007.jpgCobia pics 008.jpgCobia pics 009.jpg

Here are some pictures so you can see what I am working with.

Bill

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Recently found out stator is dry rotted. Where to get 1? Price I should pay Looked on craigslist but no luck. Might post a wanted ad.

Thanks;

Bill

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found stator for v6. Will that work?

Thanks,

Bill

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Count the wires on the stator. The Inline motor stator likely has only two wires and the V6 stator has many more. That silver block places that motor as an early 70s. You might look under the distributor cap and see if it has a 6 window disk or some kind of reluctor ignition system. The rotor is not removeable and quite fragile.