1st I/O Winterizing - ??? on filling w/antifreeze

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1st I/O Winterizing - ??? on filling w/antifreeze

Aside from the Toxicity...........<br /><br />I'm a Firm Believer in the Fact,<br />That a Dry engine Can't Freeze.........<br /><br />No Water.....<br />NO Problems......<br /><br />And,<br />No, I've Never encounted a Rust Issue from it....

Neillson

Cadet

I've been using a West Marine winterizing kit for the last several years. In fact, my neighbors and I take turns using it. It's about $40 and consists of a 5-gallon, clear plastic jug equipped with a valve and a clear plastic hose. You close the valve on the jug outlet and put a couple of gallons of non-toxic water/antifreeze mixture or pure antifreeze in the jug. Set the jug on the stern of the boat. If the boat is on a trailer, attach a garden hose to the engine muffs and turn on the water and run the engine until the thermostat opens. Unscrew the garden hose from the muffs and screw in the plastic hose. Open the valve on the tank and run the engine until antifreeze comes out of the exhaust. The antifreeze has replaced all of the water in your seawater cooling system.<br />I keep my boat on a lift so I don't use a garden hose for the first step, I just lower the boat into the water and run until it is hot. Then I raise the lift and slip the muffs on to the outdrive and run the engine again.<br />The West Marine model # is 520411.<br />I found it when I noticed one of the local marinas does dockside winterizing using this device.

I will have to look into the West Marine Unit. I cannot believe that I have not heard of it before. Sounds like the only sure way to ensure all water is out. I just need to determine whether to use pure antifreeze or a mix with distilled water. At what temperature does the thermostat open?

tryan

Seaman

if you just drain the block, it is still wise to trailer the boat a few times around the block with the drains open.<br /><br />again, pure antifreeze is about as bad as leaving water in the block.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

I use Prestone Low-Tox or Sierra Poly Glyc anti-freeze for the engine. Readily available and the right product for the job. Mix 1/2 and 1/2 with reverse osmosis water from the kitchen. One gallon makes two which fills the block and hoses perfectly (on my V6).

Neillson

Cadet

You are right. Pure antifreeze doesn't work. It must be mixed with water. I meant the non-toxic type that is already pre-mixed. <br />Thanks for the correction.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Received the anti-freeze I ordered, today. I purchased Camco Ban Frost 2000 (Propylene Glycol) http://www.camco.net/fullpics/fulls...an+Frost+Marine+Engine+Antifreeze+and+Coolant <br /><br />It specificly says it is for marine engine storage (has pic of an I/O on label) or permanent anti-freeze/coolant applications. A chart is provided for each of these applications. <br /><br />Storage Chart:<br /><br />Ban Frost/Water Ratio = Burst Point(F)<br />100 / 0 = -100<br />60 / 40 = -85<br />50 / 50 = -75 <br />40 / 60 = -60<br />30 / 70 = -40<br />20 / 80 = +10<br /><br />So straight, no water provides max protection for freezing.<br /><br /><br />Anti-Freeze/Coolant chart:<br />It is more a mixing chart, but max protection is -75 F, at 2/3 Ban Frost, 1/3 water<br />-26, at 1/2 Ban frost, 1/2 water<br /><br />PS: Says it has CAM-3 (whatever that is?) inhibitor package for "superior" corrosion protection.