1999 Regal 2150 LSC

regal2150owner

Recruit
Hi everyone! New here with what I believe is a big problem. I don’t know much about boats, however I bought this boat last year to have fun with my kids. First time we got on water, the boat had no power, wouldn’t go past 10 mph. I thought it’s the carburetor, also needed starter fluid to help it start. Took it to a mechanic and they said it’s not the carburetor, but there is no compression in 1 of the 8 cylinders. It will need to be rebuilt.
The quote is $6k. $5963.75 to be exact.
I am mind blown, since I paid $6k for the boat. Is this a fair price? Is it worth it? Or should I just sell the boat?
Is a new engine cheaper? Is that even an option?
I am a single mother with no knowledge in boats, I’m hoping the mechanic is fair.

Thank you kindly

Bondo

Staff member
Hi everyone! New here with what I believe is a big problem. I don’t know much about boats, however I bought this boat last year to have fun with my kids. First time we got on water, the boat had no power, wouldn’t go past 10 mph. I thought it’s the carburetor, also needed starter fluid to help it start. Took it to a mechanic and they said it’s not the carburetor, but there is no compression in 1 of the 8 cylinders. It will need to be rebuilt.
The quote is $6k. $5963.75 to be exact.
I am mind blown, since I paid $6k for the boat. Is this a fair price? Is it worth it? Or should I just sell the boat?
Is a new engine cheaper? Is that even an option?
I am a single mother with no knowledge in boats, I’m hoping the mechanic is fair.

Thank you kindly
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... I too, hope you've got an honest mechanic,.....
With no compression on one cylinder, I'd do a leak-down test to see whether it's the rings, or a bad valve,.....
If a bad valve, rebuilding or replacin' the heads would be cheaper,...
If it's a hole in the piston, then a rebuild or replacement is in order,....

Either way, labor is gonna be the biggest expense,....
'bout the only way to lower the cost, might be to find a gently used motor, to replace yer's,....

regal2150owner

Recruit
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... I too, hope you've got an honest mechanic,.....
With no compression on one cylinder, I'd do a leak-down test to see whether it's the rings, or a bad valve,.....
If a bad valve, rebuilding or replacin' the heads would be cheaper,...
If it's a hole in the piston, then a rebuild or replacement is in order,....

Either way, labor is gonna be the biggest expense,....
'bout the only way to lower the cost, might be to find a gently used motor, to replace yer's,....
Thank you much for your reply. He did at he checked the valve. I’m guessing I’ll have to spend $6k to get it going for this summer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here is what your $6k is buying.

$2k worth of remanufactured motor and $4k worth of labor

or

$4k worth of crate motor and $2k worth of labor

if you want to lower the costs, you will have to do the work yourself

regal2150owner

Recruit
here is what your $6k is buying.

$2k worth of remanufactured motor and $4k worth of labor

or

$4k worth of crate motor and $2k worth of labor

if you want to lower the costs, you will have to do the work yourself
I am definitely not qualified for such work.
Thank you for your reply and helping me understand where my money will go.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you are going to have the boat repaired be very specific that someone from the shop goes out and runs the boat before you take delivery.

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings and welcome to iBoats. It is probably a fair assumption that you bought the boat with out sufficient inspection and in-water testing.

I do wish that folks would come to a forum like this (actually, this forum :D) before they buy a boat as these situations are hard to get a happy outcome.

Hopefully, the mechanic is on terget and giving you the best course of action. Since we cannot see & touch the boat, it is hard to say what the boat (engine) may need.

Post your progress as you go for continued advise.