1999 Mercury 15hsp 2 stroke- No water ??

shickok133

Recruit
First time on this forum.

I just bought the river boat my 87 year old dad used to own from the guy he sold it to 10 years ago and I'm trying to get the motor back up in top notch order. When I first tested the motor, it ran well and pump was pushing water out of pee hole. When I drained lower unit, it was milky white, so I replaced impeller and gaskets and then lower unit oil-- thanks to Youtube. I just ran it at the launch and there is no water coming out, and there seems to be more than usual oil on top of the water. Suggestions? I know the key lock is in and I think I did everything else, but this was my first time doing the impeller and gaskets on my own. Any suggestions? I did check water hose and it's clear too. I know I put the O ring on shaft, but I am second guessing myself if I put a second one on after the impeller...if that was something I needed to do. Just hoping to get some help before I pull the lower unit again. Thanks for any help you can offer.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
The oil on the water would most likely it's flooding, check the carb settings or rebuild time

No water, I would take the leg back off and get back into the pump

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I would maybe take the gearbox off again and check it over again. It will be something silly like the woodruff key slipped or astray. Or the sealing ability at either end of the tube. Possible that the tell tale is blocked with salt too. Alternatively (forgive me for saying) it may be that you are running her out the water ashore somewhere and there isn't enough supply to her intakes. By means of unsuitable muffs or water level in a tank she may be sat in ?
But just if it helps any, two last things...

I actually had a similar aged 10hp one of these (same engine). some of these are very active on the thermostat operation...especially when cold and at idle.
Try not to take everything you see om YouTube as gospel 😀