1999 mercrusier EFI 5.7 fuel pump not powering on

mbaker812

Cadet
Can anyone help with this issue. my fuel pump is not powering up when I turn the key to the run position and my alarm does not go off for low oil pressure. could I have the key switch wired incorrectly? Does the purple wire and the black go on the same terminal it is a 4 position key switch.

Bondo

Staff member
Can anyone help with this issue. my fuel pump is not powering up when I turn the key to the run position and my alarm does not go off for low oil pressure. could I have the key switch wired incorrectly? Does the purple wire and the black go on the same terminal it is a 4 position key switch.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Black wire,..?? on the key switch,..??

Purple is the ignition circuit,....

alldodge

Staff member
Need a motor serial number to verify, but most EFI motors will not sound the alarm with the key left ON. The ECM grounds the other side of the alarm if it sees and issue.

The carb motors would sound because the senders would ground the other side of the alarm.

Back to the problem. With key turned ON you should hear 2 beeps and the pump turn on for 2 seconds. Your not hearing the beep so tell us what lead up to you getting a new key switch? Also what was the original key switch?

mbaker812

Cadet
Need a motor serial number to verify, but most EFI motors will not sound the alarm with the key left ON. The ECM grounds the other side of the alarm if it sees and issue.

The carb motors would sound because the senders would ground the other side of the alarm.

Back to the problem. With key turned ON you should hear 2 beeps and the pump turn on for 2 seconds. Your not hearing the beep so tell us what lead up to you getting a new key switch? Also what was the original key switch?
serial number is l086285, I now believe I have an open ground. it was on the ignition relay. I put a grond from battery to the Ign relay and it cycled and I had my meter on the green and white wire on the fuel relay and the ecm powered that wire. did a continuity test from the ground relay to the fuel pump and did not have continuity. looks like an open ground in the wire harness. thoughts? I did do the dianostic test and got a code 14 and a 24. thoughts?

mbaker812

Cadet

MR All Dodge, so I can get on the right page with you I just want to give you the run down and maybe you can help me with this aggravation.

this is a brand new 5,7 rebuild
fuel relay gave me a problem twice since installed and when I fixed that enough to get back to dry land I had to zip tie the relay tight and move the wires to a specific spot angle to keep it running. since it continued to run and start the next three times I didnt pull it apart. I made a mistake and bout an aftermarket shift cable when redoing everything and that was not a good thing as it was a classic ***** to get the new one back in with the motor installed. never the less i got it in and set correctly since it was a quick silver cable and lesson learned. Then I went to start it and the starter was not kicking in, so I pulled that side manifold and found the bendix shaft was rusted and would not release or engage. so new starter and yes quick silver only back on. cranked it it engaged and that was one problem solved or two as the story goes.
So figuring as much cramming and twisting and cutting hands and arms I figured I pulled a ground or broke a connector. checked all connections and all were good. bought mercruiser service manual #24 and started diagnoising the engine with multimeter and test light. to say the least its a Bi(*&* but it appears to me I am going to have to open the wire harness find the broken ground connection and work it backwards. thoughts? thanks for listening.

mbaker812

Cadet
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Black wire,..?? on the key switch,..??

Purple is the ignition circuit,....
some person wire the LED that shows power on with a black wire. all goo on the key switch.

alldodge

Staff member
The serial number comes back as a 7.4 L29
Using the same prefix 0L086 I'm close enough to comment. The alarm is controlled by the ECM so just turning the key ON will not keep it sounding off. The ECM is what will turn the alarm ON if there is an issue

I think you have the MEFI-1

Code 14 is ECT voltage high or open. Being there is a ground issue this may cause the ECM to not receive the signal. The ECT is connected to pins J1-2 and J1-29 ground. J1-29 is also the ground for the MAP sensor

Code 24 is speed sensor inactive and wasn't used on MEFI 1 thru 3. Don't know why it even shows up

The MEFI-1 supplies 12V to the FP relay from pin J2-9. The other side of the relay coil is ground.

The MEFI-3 does not supply power but connects the FP relay to ground from pin J1-23. The Main Power Relay (MPR) is what supplies power to relay

mbaker812

Cadet
The serial number comes back as a 7.4 L29
Using the same prefix 0L086 I'm close enough to comment. The alarm is controlled by the ECM so just turning the key ON will not keep it sounding off. The ECM is what will turn the alarm ON if there is an issue

I think you have the MEFI-1

Code 14 is ECT voltage high or open. Being there is a ground issue this may cause the ECM to not receive the signal. The ECT is connected to pins J1-2 and J1-29 ground. J1-29 is also the ground for the MAP sensor

Code 24 is speed sensor inactive and wasn't used on MEFI 1 thru 3. Don't know why it even shows up

The MEFI-1 supplies 12V to the FP relay from pin J2-9. The other side of the relay coil is ground.

The MEFI-3 does not supply power but connects the FP relay to ground from pin J1-23. The Main Power Relay (MPR) is what supplies power to relay
Yes MEFI-1. since the code 14 is coming over I will need to replace the MAP sensor for sure. I am going to open up the harness and find the grounding issue. I am fairly sure the ground to the FP is broken or frayed. The serial number was off my 5.0 but its all I have as the remanufacturing company said I would need to use this for a serial number even though I went up in cubic inches to the 5.7. I did see code 24 was nothing I would worry about. going out on a limb here but would an AC Delco Map sensor work? If its 5V like the mercruiser part?

alldodge

Staff member
Code 14 is for the ECT (engine coolant temp). See page 5G-15 in your manual

FP relay on 5G-14

I mentioned the MAP only because it uses the same ground connection.
The AC Delco parts are fine to use and the MAP is a 1 Bar sensor so 1 atmosphere

mbaker812

Cadet
Code 14 is for the ECT (engine coolant temp). See page 5G-15 in your manual

FP relay on 5G-14

I mentioned the MAP only because it uses the same ground connection.
The AC Delco parts are fine to use and the MAP is a 1 Bar sensor so 1 atmosphere
Mr. Dodge,

so here is the final out come. traced FP ground all the way through the open harness and found broken ground wire under starting harness. run continuity test and there it was. relay grounds all go together into the ECM (black with white stripe). going to replace the MAP sensor repair the ground and test the system. I am pretty sure I have found the issue as I put power on the FP and it works. The green white wire produces 12 V for 2 seconds when key is on so the ECM is making the call.
wiring diagram is clear as mud for the grounds.
do you know how to reset codes on MEFI1?

alldodge

Staff member
Connect the jumper on DLC
Turn key ON, move throttle handle to WOT and back to neutral
Turn key OFF wait 20 seconds
Turn key ON and see if it cleared. No codes in a MEFI will be code 12 only

mbaker812

Cadet
Connect the jumper on DLC
Turn key ON, move throttle handle to WOT and back to neutral
Turn key OFF wait 20 seconds
Turn key ON and see if it cleared. No codes in a MEFI will be code 12 only
Thank you Mr Dodge I hope this post helps someone else.