1999 Johnson 3 cy 35 hp overheating?

btheile

Recruit
Last week after trolling with this motor, it wouldn't go fast and finally died and wouldn't start. Yesterday I took it out and ran it full bore for about 45 minutes and it ran fine. Today I went out full bore and it shut off after about 15 minutes, ran again for a minute or two and shut down again. I drifted for awhile, restarted the engine and ran it full bore back to my harbor (about 10 minutes). Four years ago they bypassed the oil injection, so I am doing my own fuel mixing. Two years ago, I had a similar problem, and they replaced the thermostat. This appears to be the same thing. Is there anything else I can do?

btheile

Recruit
Re: 1999 Johnson 3 cy 35 hp overheating?

This is a 3 cylinder TEL Johnson 35 hp motor 1999, s/n 04619272.

t2mcdonald

Recruit
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I am currently having this issue and not sure where to start.

Bigwill2983

Recruit
Step # 1 is to inspect / replace water pump impeller.
What is step 5. I have the same problem and same motor. I have replaced waterpump & impeller, thermostat, cleaned carbs, replaced all gaskets, fuel filter, it pee’s great. Cold water comes out of tale tell, but cylinder head and exhaust housing is too hot to touch. Exhaust seems to be working great too. Motor cranks up and runs fine until motor gets extremely hot. The tank has pre mix gas.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What is step 5. I have the same problem and same motor. I have replaced waterpump & impeller, thermostat, cleaned carbs, replaced all gaskets, fuel filter, it pee’s great. Cold water comes out of tale tell, but cylinder head and exhaust housing is too hot to touch. Exhaust seems to be working great too. Motor cranks up and runs fine until motor gets extremely hot. The tank has pre mix gas.
remove the powerhead and inspect adapter where water tube and grommet enter housing. you will find it blocked or swollen. sometimes they get swollen but not clogged, like a straw with tool small of an opening to get proper water volume. sometimes you can just snip off the swollen part and get it cleared up in a pinch, but highly recommend a new grommet.