1999 Honda 2HP Bottom End Rebuild

jwam12

Recruit
I just pulled apart the bottom end of a Honda 2HP motor to find the bearing and gears are shot from being full of water. I noticed when ordering new parts that there are different washers thicknesses to shim the shaft, propeller. How to shim this correctly? Should I buy all the washers ($5.00 each)? (1.00,1.05, 1.10,1.15,1.20)

jwam12

Recruit
I just pulled apart the bottom end of a Honda 2HP motor to find the bearing and gears are shot from being full of water. I noticed when ordering new parts that there are different washers thicknesses to shim the shaft, propeller. How to shim this correctly? Should I buy all the washers ($5.00 each)? (1.00,1.05, 1.10,1.15,1.20)
So I purchased and downloaded a Troy Service Manual for the Honda BF2D. Unfortunately it is missing the information about selecting the correct washer and shimming the propeller shaft. Any information would be welcome.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I was going to rip on the "Troy" manual vs getting a real Honda manual (because that's usually the case), but I just checked a Honda manual and don't see that spec there either. It references page 15-2 for info on selecting the correct washer/spacer, but then doesn't have anything about that on page 15-2, nor any pages around that.

Its the drive gear that you're actually shimming, so that it correctly aligns with the vertical shaft bevel gear. Rather than buying the whole suite of washers, You'd want measure the existing one, do the assembly and measure freeplay between the two gears (how far the vertical shaft can rotate without moving the prop shaft) and adjust the shim as necessary. But without the spec that'd be impossible to do.

Interestingly, the BF8 manual says the shim spec is stamped inside the gear case and has a chart that shows which code relates to which shim is required.

jwam12

Recruit
Well, I was going to rip on the "Troy" manual vs getting a real Honda manual (because that's usually the case), but I just checked a Honda manual and don't see that spec there either. It references page 15-2 for info on selecting the correct washer/spacer, but then doesn't have anything about that on page 15-2, nor any pages around that.

Its the drive gear that you're actually shimming, so that it correctly aligns with the vertical shaft bevel gear. Rather than buying the whole suite of washers, You'd want measure the existing one, do the assembly and measure freeplay between the two gears (how far the vertical shaft can rotate without moving the prop shaft) and adjust the shim as necessary. But without the spec that'd be impossible to do.

Interestingly, the BF8 manual says the shim spec is stamped inside the gear case and has a chart that shows which code relates to which shim is required.
Thanks for confirming that the Honda manual is no better. I am replacing the Prop shaft, pinion and bearing so I will need to get the proper shim. Without any spec the best I can do is assemble it with a shim, mark the gears, turn it a bit and see if the gear mesh and wear pattern is good. If anyone else has any advise please let me know.