1999 Evinrude 200 bouncing while trimming down

Dstar

Cadet
I just bought the boat and it has been doing it since I bought it. Add fluid cycled and added fluid tried everything. That I know of. Any advice would be helpful. Working on a budget so I would like to figure this out myself. Goes up fine and bounces until it hits rams.

Attachments

• photo293971.jpg
    photo293971.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Grease the tilt pivots. There should be 2 zerc fittings on the front of the tilt pin.

Also, make sure the engine trim isn't binding anywhere. The PTT unit needs to swing a bit on a stainless pin at it's base, as she trims up. Sometimes they sieize...

Dstar

Cadet
I've greased a lot of it, haven't greased the tilt pivot zercs. The motor seems to be pretty free I've opened the manual valve and lifted it it was easy. I've read that the filter being clogged could keep it from self bleeding. Gonna grease it and see what happens. Any thoughts on a clogged filter?

interalian

Commander
Sounds like air in the system. Tilt it all the way up and use a syringe to fill with ATF until it overflows. Cycling up and down will eventually purge the air. Did you trailer the boat with the trim rams extended?

Dstar

Cadet
Yes they will not pull them in without the weight of the motor. I just lubed and greased everything. So I know there is no binding due to something dry. I cycled it prop 30 times last night with the syringe. I even pulled the main tilt pin since the last post and run it up and down it worked fine, put the motor weight back on it and it bounces. Can't find any damage to the rams and I think for some reason I can't get the air out. I'm thinking of checking the filter. The fluid that is mixing with the new looks dark and nasty.

Fed

Commander
Did you lube the bushes at the top of the tilt ram, I usually drizzle a bit of tcw3 on top if it if my down gets jerky or makes click/clunk noises.
The trim rams should retract when you sit the motor on the support arms & push the down button but they only move slowly so you have to wait a bit until they go clunk at the bottom of their travel.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Just for the heck of it, try tightening up the two big nuts on the end tilt tube once and see what happens.

Dstar

Cadet
Idk if you can see this photo but is this the nut your talking about. I've tried everything aside feom taking the unit off and looking at the filter in the pump. I'm just now going in. It only has a nut like this on one side the other is some kind of deal with a tab on it. It sounds real funny sometimes going and down like there is trapped air moving around. I bet I cycled this SOB 50 times today And the jerk has never even gotten any better even with tightening that nut.

Attachments

• photo294033.jpg
    photo294033.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Dstar

Cadet
This is the other side. My question is can the motor/ pump alone cause this? And or a clogged filter

Attachments

• photo294034.jpg
    photo294034.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Dstar

Cadet
Dang how tight should it be. It got a little better for a min and went back to bouncing. When I hold up on the motor as it goes down it won't do it.