1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Pros and Cons

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at buying 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Club cab with 5.9 liter, tow package, and only 28000 miles. Anything good or bad I need to know about? Thanks :D :D :D :D

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Pros and Cons

Heavy on gas, light on handling ...<br /><br />but ooooohhhhh that torque!<br /><br />for what its worth, one other thing ... when some punk kid in a 69 big block Camaro comes rumbling up, you dont even have to kill the AC ... just stand on it and youll eat him alive to about 80 or so<br /><br />it has also been panned for having a TRUCK LIKE RIDE .... which really piissses me off, HELLO, this IS A TRUCK!!!! <br /><br />car writers, spoiled bunch of basstids<br /><br />But thats it in a nutshell, tough to keep gas in em, tough to park if you are used to smaller wheels, but for towing a big ol boat a few hundred effortless miles with a fuel injected Magnum 360 .. er, 5.9 ... cant beat it!<br /><br /> :cool:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Tranny,Tranny, tranny. There have been reports of the transmissions having problems, But mainly, there is an elctric speed sensor in the rear end, that used to fail a lot. I think they changed the design of the replacement sensor, but dunno. 60% of folks NEVER change the tranny fluid, and that kills all transimissions. Whatever you end-up with, be sure to install a trany temp gauge on the cooler line.That is critical to towing.<br />I did not let this scare me from buying a new '02 Ram 1500, V6 Magnum, tow-package last November after wreckin my Yota (I drives ungood)....<br />But I figured witrh them offering a 7year/70.000mile protection plan, they have placed thier money where thier trucks are.<br />That was good enough for me, but I have allways been a "Chebby man", and checked into getting a Cheby first...But the dealers like them too,so much so, they didn't want to sell them at a fair profit.<br />The dodge boys met me half-way, and are there after the sale.<br />
18724680.mydodge.jpg

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

Look around to see if you are getting it for the amount that it is worth. take everything into consideration. <br /><br />I bought a 2002 Nissan crew cab pickup last week. it only had 9000 miles on it. still under factory warranty(40000 miles left). no scratches, dents, or any other problems. still in mint condition. I got it for 13000, 4000 under the used listing price.(would not consider it used though with less than 10000 miles).<br /><br />I looked at about 40 different trucks before i found this one. all other trucks like this one were in the 16500 to 17500 range. just look around before you buy. if you are like me, you dont have extra $$ to spend (thats my wifes job :rolleyes: ).

Ralph 123

Captain

This is going to PO the Dodge fans but, I was invited to an event where I could spend a whole day driving any of hundreds of vehicles on closed test tracks. I drove every PU and large SUV. I walked away thinking I would never buy a Dodge, the GMC Sierra w/ quad steer is one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in any class, and I was very impressed with the awesome lincoln navigator. I likes it a little more than the Escalde (which is also awesome)<br /><br />The Dodge trucks, even the one I drove with the optional hemi, could not compete with either GM or Ford.<br /><br />I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for exactly one month. It had to immediately have a new rear end put in it and then THE SHOCKS WERE FALLING OFF!<br /><br />I brought it back and bought a Chevy instead.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents

FLATHEAD

Captain

I have a 2002 2500 Dodge ram 4x4 extended cab 8 foot bed with the 5.9. You will get about 10 to 12 mile per gallon, maybe a bit more if you are going 2 wheel drive. The truck has unbelievable power, it will pull a ship if it had to. The ride is a bit bumpy like another said it rides like a truck and I like that. The tranny is a bit different but if you keep it out of OD when towing it works great. I have not had one problem with the tranny yet though I have heard the stories of them failing.Don't know of the claim of beating a big block camaro?? Off the line I could not beat a ford F-150. But who's is racing these trucks anyway.I think it handles great, lots of room and laid out nice inside. The gas mileage could be better but for me it works great. The 7 year warranty cant be beat.

Ralph 123

Captain

I know this sounds totally ubsurd but here goes anyway.<br /><br />I have a GMC Sierra 2500 Turbo Diesel and beat a restored suped-up 69 Comaro off the line - the guy was so embarressed he got off the road as quickly as he could.<br /><br />I was shocked and laughed for 2 days...

SoulWinner

Commander

Several months back I was involved in a minor crash that let to my renting several vehicles while I awaited repairs to my own 1988 Toyota 4Runner. I rented a 2003 Chevy Truck, 2003 GMC truck and a 2003 Dodge truck. All were extended cabs. I spend several days in each truck because I was using this oportunity to compare them for possible future purchase. The Dodge was by far the most comfortable for both me and my wife. I am 5'8", 200 pounds, my wife is 5'2", 100 pounds so we have very different builds, but both found the seats in the Dodge very comfortable. The driver seat in the chevy felt like it was angled so that it felt as if it was dumping my out toward the steering wheel. In two days I never managed to get it adjusted so that it didn't feel that way, and it gave both me and my wife terrible back aches if we drove it for more than 15-20 minutes. Same for the GMC, but not as pronounced as in the Chevy, which is a mistery in it's self since they were practically identicle. Gas mileage seemed to be pretty close between the trucks, all of which had 8 cylinder gas engines. I borrowed a friends 2002 F-150 and liked it for the same reasons I liked the Dodge. My chief complaint with all the full sized American trucks is that with my short arms I need a remote controle to change radio settings :D . <br /><br />Anyhoo, hope this helps.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Last year my dad bought a new Dodge 2500.<br />He does not drive it everyday because he has a car too. But this far we are happy with it. It does have a "truck like ride" but it rides a hell of a lot better then our last truck (1989 Dodge 250 power ram)

chads15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good truck, Looks like a truck Rides like a truck, It must be a truck. Pro. Good engine. Con. Keep that tranny COOL!!! and enjoy it.

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the input guy's. :) :)

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

I bought my wife a 1998 Dodge Quad Cab, with a little 318 engine in it. She says she will never drive a car again! Up to last week the only wrench that touched it was on the oil drain plug. Last week water pump started dripping. So changed it, belt and hoses. It has pulled everything I ever hooked to it. As soon as I pay for this 25 foot Tritoon, which I pull with her Dodge, I plan to buy my own Dodge 4 door dually, deisel. Dodge has been known as the pulling horse all the way back to the Power Wagon. Now that they finally changed that body style (For years you would say "Here comes a Dodge") they are getting more popular. Point being though, From the time of the Power Wagon, and all through those years you were saying, Here comes a Dodge, it seamed those people were always pulling something and using them for Work Mules. Those guys were not concearned with looks, they wanted a TRUCK that they knew would handle the work they were doing. I'm glad to see they have stepped up and changed the body styles, now you see them everywhere! Like any old Work horse, taken care of, they will take care of you. <br /><br />GodsBeast