1999 Chaparral Sunesta 232 VP sx duoprop

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, it has been a while.
I purchased this boat in Florida, real cheap.... Only 185 Hours on boat and drive. I know the engine was bad as it sat on a lift for 6 years and they never drained the water out of the block or the manifolds. Engine was locked major rust in 2 cylinders due to manifolds an risers rotting out.
I removed the engine, the drive came off with a lot of persuasion. Drive was in great mechanical shape, I disassembled, re-sealed and pressure tested the drive. I noticed the outer transom assembly had a lot of corrosion, I purchased a used transom assembly which I have have already installed new bellows, gimbal bearing, and seals.
I am ready to install the new transom assembly, now I am confused....
I have the new shield seal, I keep reading that there are also seals around the 6 bolts... Does anyone happen to know not only which seals I need and where on this planet I can source them?

I have also purchased a new vortec 5.7 complete engine that I will be installing as soon as I can figure this out..

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you talking the 6 transom bolts that bolt the shield to the transom, or the 6 bolts that bolt the drive to the bellhousing?
transom bolts us 5200 on the inside to seal the 6 holes.
no seals or sealant on the 6 bellhousing bolts.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
are you talking the 6 transom bolts that bolt the shield to the transom, or the 6 bolts that bolt the drive to the bellhousing?
transom bolts us 5200 on the inside to seal the 6 holes.
no seals or sealant on the 6 bellhousing bolts.
Thank you, i am referring to the transom plate bolts. Was or is there a style that required Orings? I have the new “rope” gasket to seal the outer shield to transom