1998 Volvo-Penta high idle then stalls when put in gear

ChadLB

Recruit
Hello - New to the forum. Bought a 1998 Caravelle a little over a month ago. It always starts fine, dang near as soon as I hit the key she'll fire up. But when she fires she idles up around 1500rpm and when warm she'll idle around 1100rpm. Then as soon as I put it into gear she'll stall out. I have to put it in forward or reverse with some gas to get it back up to 1100rpm and then at that point she'll coast...but even then its going to fast for channels. Right now I am thinking it needs a carb rebuild or carb adjustment.

I read some where that the idle speed when warm should be around 700rpm. Any thoughts on this path?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What motor,..?? what carb,..??

Yes, idle should be 650/ 700 rpms,....

ChadLB

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What motor,..?? what carb,..??

Yes, idle should be 650/ 700 rpms,....
I apologize....I posted this a second time. I received an error the first time about "no content please retry later"....only to see it actually posted.

Its the 4.3GL motor....not positive about the carb.

Bondo

Staff member
I apologize....I posted this a second time. I received an error the first time about "no content please retry later"....only to see it actually posted.

Its the 4.3GL motor....not positive about the carb.
Ayuh,..... No problem, there appears to be some site issues here today, that have been reported to the admin.s,......
I deleted yer other 2 posts,.....

It sounds like the idle circuit in yer carb is boogered up,.....
Usually, a carb rebuild will fix that,....