1998 Shabah 180 good first boat??

MagicMan

Cadet
So there's a 98 Shabah 180 around here for sale with 229 hours on it.

Is that considered a lot? They want almost 9000 bucks for it with the trailer, top, and cover. It's a really, really good looking boat. All black with tan interior.

Any comments or concerns?

Thanks
Ron

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 Shabah 180 good first boat??

The original Mariahs were very well built boats, and if it was taken care of it should hold up well for many more years. Propulsion (either Merc or VP) is the same way, if properly maintained it should run for 2000+ hours.

As for price, you left out alot of details, is it a Merc or VP, is it 4cyl or V6, is the trailer painted or galvanized, does it have brakes.........

Go to NADAGuides.com and look it up, just remember it is only a guide and this boat could be worth more OR less than book value.

I will mention one other thing, a design flaw. The location of the bilge vents(just under the aft edge of the sunpad) become funnels if you come off of plane abruptly. This is not dangerous, a gallon or two isn't even enough to turn on the pump, but it is something that should have been corrected. pre-production IMHO. Of course, it may not be an issue with the lighter 4cyl.

MagicMan

Cadet

Yeah.. I forgot about leaving details. Since I sold my Subaru, I haven't been on any boards and my ettiquite(sp?) is a little rusty.

The boat may be sold by now, I haven't gotten a response from the seller yet, but it has the 4.3 Merc and the trailer isn't adaquately described in the ad.

Either way, using NADA, it seems to be on par with their pricing. I was just a little concerned about the number of hours.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

230 hours is no big deal.

Was this a fresh or saltwater boat?

At 10 years old it is time(overdue if it was in the salt) to look at manifolds and risers. If it was in fresh water, they are probably fine, but still need to be checked.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

That price seems fair. NADA says $8500-9600 W/O trailer(Which is painted, by the way, I can't tell if it has brakes).

One other thing to consider, it looks like it has the one piece exhaust manifolds, this was a poor design that merc changed after just a couple of years. Make sure you budget $500-600 for replacements, before they fail. A leaking manifold can destroy your engine.

MagicMan

Cadet

Someone beat me to the punch. It already has a deposit on it... I'll know Tuesday if it falls through.