1998 Moomba Mobius

petrey10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
WOndering what some of you more experienced boaters think about the Moomba Mobius boats. It has the 5.7l engine with around 300 horses. 22' with wakeboard tower. Do these boats hold their value well? Are they good quality boats?

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 Moomba Mobius

I can't really say if the Moomba holds its value because I don't know. I have observed that new Moomba's tend to start at a significantly lower price when compared to competitors such as Mastercraft and Malibu. The lower price may not mean cheap (low quality) and could be an indication of high value (you get more for your money) boat. How that translates into resale value is a good question. When it comes to a 10 year old boat, the condition will greatly determine the boats present value.

FYI - I have always liked the Moomba for their high value proposition. It is difficult to find another boat in the same class that gives as much for the price.

D

DJ

I can't really say if the Moomba holds its value because I don't know. I have observed that new Moomba's tend to start at a significantly lower price when compared to competitors such as Mastercraft and Malibu. The lower price may not mean cheap (low quality) and could be an indication of high value (you get more for your money) boat. How that translates into resale value is a good question. When it comes to a 10 year old boat, the condition will greatly determine the boats present value.

FYI - I have always liked the Moomba for their high value proposition. It is difficult to find another boat in the same class that gives as much for the price.

I agree with Aquaski. Lower initial price does not always mean a lower resale (percentage of new) price.

NADA would be agood place to compare Moombas to Mastercrafts, Natiques and Correct Crafts.

Would I buy one-yes, once I was assured there are no issues with the hull. The powerplants are basically the same.

rocky100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have always been interested in the Moombas---can anyone give a general background on them?

petrey10

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok well i am going to look at one this weekend...I am only gonna buy it if I can get a garantee for about 60-100 hours (engine hours). They said that would not be a problem. The interior was all redone and the engine has basically brand new everything because the previous owner didn't winterize. Should I be careful here because of the replaced motor?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I have always been interested in the Moombas---can anyone give a general background on them?

Moombas are an inexpensive alternative to Supras (built by the same company). I think to start out the Moombas were more Wakeboard orientated than the Supras but now they pretty much all are wakeboard orientated. I dont have first hand experience with Moombas. I do have a lot of time on mid-eighties Supras though. Good boats. The Comp Ts6m really put the company on the map.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was told Moombas were a great value because they bought all the old Mastercraft hull molds, and are basically a Mastercraft done on a value budget. I will definitely consider them if I ever decide I need to upgrade to an inboard again.

On being cheap -- when I got my first Malibu Skier back in the 80s, they too were cheaper (in price) than the competition, but a hell of a boat.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I was told Moombas were a great value because they bought all the old Mastercraft hull molds, and are basically a Mastercraft done on a value budget.

I don't think I had ever heard that. Maybe some years ago that was the case. Currently I am pretty sure they are just using the same hulls as Supra. I don't think there is any association with Mastercraft or their designs.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't hear they are associated in any way, just that they started out by buying the old mastercraft molds. I can't verify this, just what I heard.

The only problem I see with some of the older Moombas is you have to really like a colorful boat!

I would consider one in a heartbeat.

salty87

Commander

i'm not sure when the cut-off date is (mid 90's or so?) but moomba's were significantly inferior for a few years until supra realized the value of that part of the market. since then, they've turned into the honda accord of wakeboard boats...solid performance, basic features standard plus available upgrades, a real good value when you could drop 60k plus elsewhere.

as to the mastercraft reference, i don't the they'd sell their old molds.

petrey10

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well i am 99 percent sure I am getting the boat. The gelcoat of the boat is amazing no cracks or deep scratches anywhere. The interior had only on eblemish and it was smaller than a dime. Prop was in great shape the engine looked great (brand new rebuilt engine). The trailer was the only down side...some rust in places...easily fixed...no spare tire...crank and strap were in bad shape... I go back this saturday to see the maintenance people perform a compression check on the cylinders. If all goes as planned I should be putting a down payment down this saturday and they will store the boat for me until I want to take her out on the water. Also I get a 60 day guarantee(I am trying to get a 90 out of them). Really great dealership so far.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just make sure you can handle the boat. Driving a direct drive, V-drive, or whatever it is called is a lot different than a stern drive. Docking those things can be rough until you get the hang of it. Also, they do not like shallow water.