1998 Merc 90 HP Lower Unit Shaft

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It was a simple job before you removed that shaft.-------Lower unit must be in the same gear as the control box when assembling.---Usually forward works best.----They tend to go into forward gear when you are not looking and the control is still in nuetral.

DonSSDD

Cadet
I took the shaft out because it wouldn't shift gears, when I turned the shaft, it moved about 1/2 turn with no resistance. Down the hole the shaft fits into, I can't see where it would fit in, no "female" gears or if they are there, they are stripped.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have a '02 of that engine. The spline sticking up from the LU has 6 splines as I remember, sex male. The female the same on the shaft inside the mid section. The shifter, inside the lower unit, is a twist 3 position detent cam with a pointed cam follower on the prop shaft. To shift between the 3 gears, there are 3 distinct meshes of the follower in the cam cavities. If you can't feel that then something is wrong.

Mark

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple ------If it shifted fine before the work was done there is nothing wrong with the parts.------------------It was assembled wrong.-------You must verify the shifter and lower unit are in the same gear when assembling !!!!

DonSSDD

Cadet
Thanks for the help, I've had the LU off several times before with no issues, sounds like a cam you mention is messed up.