1998 Mariner 150XL Oil Injection Problem

I'm having a problem with my 1998 Mariner 150XL serial OG624650. I took <br />it out for the first time this year a few days ago and it began beeping <br />after only 5 minutes running. I thought it was overheating but later <br />found out that it was an oil injection warning. I did not run it long <br />that day and only at idle speed.<br /><br />I changed the water pump and impeller just to be safe. The impeller was <br />chewed up a bit but no pieces were missing. The water pump was pumping <br />that day but it did get up to about 180.<br /><br />I got a 97 Clymer manual and did some testing today. I connected the fuel <br />line to a 50:1 external tank and ran it. It beeped intermittently. I <br />cracked open the remote oil tank just a bit and it stopped for 5 minutes. <br />Then it started beeping again. I increased to 1500 rpm and it quit <br />beeping for 5 more minutes. Then it started beeping again and I shut it <br />down. Temp stayed at 140 throughout.<br /><br />I notice I can slighly turn the key toward off and all the gauges will <br />turn off and the beeping will stop, but the engine stays running. Is this <br />normal?<br /><br />I bled all air from the remote tank and the oil bleed screw on the oil pump. I took it back to the lake and ran it. It ran fine, temp stayed at 140, but a few times when coming back to idle, the beeping returned. <br /><br />I also had to pump up the primer bulb a few times each time we returned to idle because the boat would bog down when I tried to accelerate. I'm not sure what to check here.<br /><br />I'm not sure I trust the oil injection and I'm thinking about disabling it and mixing myself.<br /><br />Thanks a million in advance to anyone who can help!<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />David Rochford<br />david@zesco.com

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 Mariner 150XL Oil Injection Problem

You have a fuel starvcation problem,hence the bogging upon acceleration. The alarm could be caused by a bad sender too. But likewise, I WOULD NOT TRUST THAT. This is biggest problem with newer 2-stokes, oil injection failure. If it were mine, I'd unhook that buzzer, plug the oil injector,and run 50:1.

eneubec1

Recruit

David,<br />I have a 1998 75Hp mariner that had a similar problem. THe sensor is built into the bottom of the oil tank. The sensor itself is a magnetic sensor. You might just have the sensor coming loose from the bottom of the tank. It is held in by one small screw.<br /><br />I trusted my oil injector system, but my motor just developed a rob knock. Not sure if it was a oil injector failure or not, but one thing I did find out......The beeping sound for the oil injector system is for the oil level, not a check of a properly functioning oil injector. It might be different on newer motors, but for our vintage motor the system check is limited to the oil level.<br />With that knowledge...... If I were you I would check with my local merc mechanic and confirm that I am correct, and then figure out how to turn of the oil injector and manually mix.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents. <br />'Wishin I was fishin'

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is more than one sensor for the oil system. One of them will be for the oil level, and there is another for pump operation. You can have the system checked or plug system(20bucks) and pre-mix. That is what I did with my 85 150 merc. Smokes a bit more but I know oil is in the cylinders!! Good Luck.<br />CU

salted nuts

Cadet

I have a 1998 125 4 cylinder, The response about the level switch is right on. There is no other warning in the warning module other than level switch for the tank. Try disconecting the bullet connectors for the switch and see if the beeping stops (I believe they are a tan/blue stripe on the bottom of the oil reservoir)

jkering66

Seaman Apprentice

I am having a smialar issue with my 1988 Mercury 175.<br /><br />Filled oil mix tank, still beep, beep, beep when engine starts.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would plug the system and pre-mix. These engines oil pumps fail often.<br />CU

Ken Paydon

Cadet

Is it an EFI? If so, the beeping may also be due to the gas/ water separator being full.<br /><br />Another note: premix will not save you if one of your cylinders is not getting fuel.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 88 175 is not efi, the horn your hearing is an oil horn. Your pump could be going bad, a sensor in the small oil resevoir could be bad or the module could be bad. I had the same problem with an 85 150 merc, the oil pump was going bad, now I pre-mix. I took the module, resevoir, and oil pump and tossed them in the trash with a smile. :D Good luck and let us know.<br />CU