1998 Kawaski 1100 stx

skixprs

Recruit
I have a problem and have had it in the shop with no luck. The machine runs great and all of a sudden just dies. I can correct the problem by changing the fuel filter. My theory is that the only thing I am doing is getting air into the gas line. Because it doesn't have to be a new filter. It goes great for a day of two and same problem. Also I have a new problem. My gas gauge doesn't work after I drained all the gas out to see if I maybe had water in the tank. No water, same problem and now gas guage doesn't work. I am thinking it might be a blocked gas vent. But I have no ideal where to find the vent to see if it is clogged. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks SAM

Re: 1998 Kawaski 1100 stx

Sam,
I had a similar problem with a 99 stx 1100.
I replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines. Ran a little better but not great.
I ended up replacing the filler tube assembly in the tank and it has run great ever since.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 1998 Kawaski 1100 stx

I don't think the fuel tank has a vent. I have the same year/model ski and mine will hiss and relieve a lot of pressure when you remove the gas cap after riding for a bit. That would indicate that it doesn't "vent" pressure, as it would vent it into the engine bay and could cause an explosion. I would make sure there is no debris in the tank or fuel lines.

My boat used to run the same way . . .great for 30min to an hour then it would start bogging down and die or barely idle. We ended up pulling the tank and found tons of dirt which was getting stirred up from the waves bouncing the boat around. Once it settled out, it would fire right up and run like a champ till the dirt got mixed up again.

The other issue is that it may not be fuel related. When it dies, crank it over while grounding the plug and see if you get spark to each cylinder to rule out the ignition. As for the fuel guage, just check your electrical connections.