1998 Johnson Ficht 150 (twins)

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1998 Johnson Ficht 150 (twins)

From my experience, the guys who always have the worst things to say about DI motors, especially the Ficht's, have never had one and just repeat what they read or hear. Granted they have had their problems, but I bought mine brand new in 2000 and have not had a single problem with it, doing at least 75-100 hrs a season. The only thing that I have done to it was regular preventative maintenance, and an injector update after I first bought it and that was just basically a different type of mounting bracket behind them, and it was a warranty thing from Bombardier, when I first got it I didn't even use Ram oil for the first 2 seasons, I used regular TC-W3, until I read a little about it and starting using it, still no problems. Most of the problems were pretty much worked by 2000, after Bombardier took over and I have total confidence it that engine. I also have a boat with twin 2000 Johnson 200hp, and although they are great engines and move out, the way they drink gas and oil kills me, I wish I had twin Fichts on that thing or E-Tecs for that matter, especially when I head out to the Canyon 50+ miles offshore into the ocean. Good luck with your Ficht, they are great engines.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would it hurt to add some oil to the gas?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

With Direct Injection oil and gas are two separate systems and are injected separately, if you added oil to the gas it would just burn without providing much lubrication, and probably gum up the fuel injectors.

mtsmith

Cadet

Guys,I wanted to report back that I have now ran this boat 110 miles in the gulf chasing tuna on 2 one day trips each, plus one trip 35 miles just cruisin. So that 145 miles with multiple starts and stops. NO PROBLEMS. I do always let them warm up good (10 minutes)at the begining of the day. Same day starts about 5 minutes. <br /><br />The trim switch is out on the handle already.... always somthing, just glad the motor switch works.<br /><br />Thanks agian to all, Ill let you know if anyhting bad happens<br /><br />I will keep you posted on the motors, so far I am completely satisfied. I will report back if I have any issues. I will put about 600 miles on them bty december. anybody with any questions...advice...just send me a reply