1998 Johnson Ficht 150 (twins)

mtsmith

Cadet
Just took these (new to me) motors in for "tune-up" in anticipation of 50 + mile offshore fish trips. History - Bought boat in Dec (sold Cape Horn CC for this FAMILY cuddy)from a dealer after a mechanic looked it over and checked compressions, reported all good. --I water tested the boat twice (3 hrs all fine) <br /><br />AFTER the $400.00 TUNE-UP, everything came back good, motors had 339/350 hrs, all under 3500 RPMS, skematic said never been over 5M RPM. No reported problems on this pair from Johnson, and factory updates had been completed<br /><br />...BUT!!!!! mechanic said BOTH motors oil injectors in manifold were BAD and NEEDED REPLACEMENT IMMEDIATELY, he refused to water test after tune up because they would BLOW that soon (I never had warning light ?) The replacement for both is going to be $1,800.00 <br /><br />I let him know both had just been tested by mechanic and checked out fine. He indicated he found the problem with the oil injector and manifold assymbly when he pressure checked oil line and found air. Said both motors were draining back to oil pump when off because the check valves werent holding the oil to the motor. So...The amount of time it takes the motors to pump oil to the injectors durring start up will BLOW them up.<br /><br />I talked to the boat dealer I bought it from who is checking with the mechanic to see if this was possible to miss. The dealer thinks these guys are trying to take me for a ride, and plans to call them tomorow. <br /><br />I dont know what to do ?? I dont have $1,800.00 laying around for new injectors... HELP, SUGGESTIONS, ?? PLEASE....

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 1998 Johnson Ficht 150 (twins)

Well,....welcome aboard first-off. :) <br />1 thing I see that would bother me is the fact neither has been over 3500RPM in 350hrs. May be an issue to some, maybe not to others. If the engines are set up with the correct props to allow near 6000RPM, then 3500 may not be a total problem.<br />I'm not going to attempt a guess at your oil check-valve issue....that's a good one for Seahorse or Dhadley....They'll be along soon.

mtsmith

Cadet

Thanks, I hope so. I've been sick all day over this. A friend of mine that I fish with a lot found this sight today and told me about it. I hope somebody has an idea if this mechanic is nuts. Their shop was awful slow, I know they got bills, but so do I.

walleyehed

Admiral

One of (either) of the 2 people I mentioned above know these engines better than the people that built them.....both of them have now that I think about it.. If they don't catch it tonight, I'll bet they post tomarrow.<br />Hang tight!<br />BTW, yes, this IS the best place to be... :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Without testing and inspecting your motors personally, I cannot comment on what is needed.<br /><br />You might try a second opinion, though. Make sure the person is trained and experienced in your '98 models.<br /><br />Contact DFI Technologies, they rebuild FICHT items for a lot less than new parts.<br /><br /> http://dfitechnologies.com/DI oiler.html

mtsmith

Cadet

WHAT A SIGHT THIS DFI IS !!!! Thanks a million. I hope someone here can tell me if the motor needs these, ie the symptoms discrbed ad up the diagnosis... <br /><br />Thanks agian

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If the boat is in the Nashville area, contact my friend Rusty at 615-847-4909 between 9 & 5. He is a factory trained tech and very knowledgable. Tell him "seahorse" told you to call and tell him your story. I've already told him about your situation and he is willing to help, if you wish.<br /><br />He can check your rig out and will give you an honest evaluation.

mtsmith

Cadet

Seahorse,<br />Thanks but the boats in Mobile, Al. I decided to not get both rebuilt or replaced. I talked to a person that said EVERY 1998 Ficht is doing it unless it has new or rebuilt oil injector. Decied to let the motors warm up to operating temp before taking off, allowing oil to pump up to injectors.<br /><br />The check valve will eventually fail on all allowing the oil to fllow back to the pump. <br /><br />Letting them warm up will take care of the problem. My new or rebuilt ones would be doing it to after a few seasons. Let them warm up is a good soultion I think... What about you ? I cant replace everything on the 1998 motor the "could be a problem later " <br /><br />i am really intrested to hear your thoughts

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I think the 2nd mechanic is crying wolf. The '98 models were the first of the troublesome FICHTS and most ran OK after the factory update kits that were installed on most engines. Oil injector failure was not a problem with any of the FICHTS and they still use a similar system today. Back then, some of the oil pump diaphragms were troublesome, but easily replaced.<br /><br />Your motors are the 1st generation and now FICHT is in its 4th generation. The new E-TECs are a vast improved series that will be replacing the FICHT design after a 9 year production.<br /><br />Use the XD-50 oil (formerly called FICHT Ram oil) and make sure those motors are propped for around 5500 rpm for best results.<br /><br />Most FICHT problems back then were the result of the untrained and unfamiliar folks trying to rig or "repair" the engines.

mtsmith

Cadet

Thanks, I will start using the XD-50 oil. Where can I find it ? <br /><br />with my mercs, I always looked for 1) name brand, 2) tcw-3 and 3) price. Sorry it took so long to get back on the above, I was on the left coast (san diego) until tonight.<br /><br />I am new to offshore boating, and getting a babtism by fire..when you say propped for 5500 that means they top out at 5500 correct, ie its full throttle

walleyehed

Admiral

Yes, WOT will produce 5500, maybe 5700.....somewhere in that range.

walleyehed

Admiral

Your JohnRude dealer can set ya up with the XD-50...don't confuse it with the XD-30...Make sure it's XD-50.

mtsmith

Cadet

This sight is awesome Thanks everyone for the help !!<br />Todd

mtsmith

Cadet

Guys,I wanted to report back that I have now ran this boat 110 miles in the gulf chasing tuna on 2 one day trips each, plus one trip 35 miles just cruisin. So that 145 miles with multiple starts and stops. NO PROBLEMS. I do always let them warm up good (10 minutes)at the begining of the day. Same day starts about 5 minutes. <br /><br />The trim switch is out on the handle already.... always somthing, just glad the motor switch works.<br /><br />Thanks agian to all, Ill let you know if anyhting bad happens

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

mtsmith,<br /><br />Did you find another mechanic for a second opinion, or did you replace the oil injectors like the one mechanic said to?

mtsmith

Cadet

I went with the second opinion (cost me a $100.00) I kind of led him to my conclusion and spent no money. we agreed every older ficht drains back and the replacement injectors would after a year or two be doing the same thing. I make sure I let them warm up for a while (to get the oil pumped up to the injectors from the pump where it drains too over time from the injectors) before I take off. So I have for the time avoided a lot of cost... ill let you know how it goes. i go out 2 X a month on 100 mile + trips diving and fishing.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Why not just pump the oil bulb a couple times before starting. Wouldnt this ensure instant oil?

mtsmith

Cadet

no, the oil bulb only gets the oil to the oil pump, not the heads.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Is there usually enough oil left in the lines for them to idle for 10 minutes safely, from a cold start? I have a 2000 150hp Ficht, not sure if this is still a problem, but I usually let it warm up a decent amount of time on cold starts. Just figured if there is a lapse in oil pressure to the injectors, then even idling may be risky, maybe not.

mtsmith

Cadet

I was told by more than one that the engines needed very very oil to idle and thye would be fine, just give then a little time before hitting the throttle. How are things on your 2000 ? how many hours etc ? I have heard some good some bad things about our motors, the not so godd reports are always LOUDER.