1998 Force 120 Fuel System

whblaylock

Seaman Apprentice
What would cause the fuel system to lose pressure and collapse the primer bulb? Spent several event free hrs on the lake and the mtr ran great. Mtr just stopped running and I discovered that the primer bulb was not just soft with no pressure but was collapsed. I played with it trying to get some fuel to the mtr and that worked for a few hundred feet. played around again and was able to get some fuel in the mtr and went another 100'. Tried again and the bulb picked up gas and pumped up tight and from that point it ran fine. I inspected the fuel lines and could not find a leak. Had a qtr tank of gas. Would trash in the tank getting into the pick up tube cause it? Thanks. WH

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 Force 120 Fuel System

You could have an obstruction between tank and bulb, or a clogged screen on the end of the fuel tank pick-up, or a clogged vent that doesn't allow the tank to breath. If the bulb is sucked flat, the problem isn't from there to the engine.<br /><br />First, check the fuel line by using a tank that you know is OK (stick the fuel line in a gas can, if necessary). ;)

whblaylock

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response. That all makes sense to me so i will look for these things. Wes

ljshein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

nothing I like more than a couple of GA boys talking about their boats!<br /><br />I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be the tank vent. Switched to an aux tank and the problem went away!<br /><br />Good Luck!<br />Jeff

whblaylock

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jeff. I have a 30gal built in and the vent is built into the panel that the fuel fill is in. I hope that is all that it is but it is hard for me to imagine that vent getting a sudden obstruction although the dirt daubers work fast in Ga. LOL. I think I have something in the tank that got sucked over the fuel tube screen and when I messed with the bulb and put pressure toward the tank it dislodged it. That means that it could happen again at any time. I could also have a fuel line delaminating from the inside and perhaps got caught in the fuel cutoff valve. Be back on the water Sat and hopefully I will find the cause. wh

redgrouper

Cadet

What would cause the fuel system to lose pressure and collapse the primer bulb? Spent several event free hrs on the lake and the mtr ran great. Mtr just stopped running and I discovered that the primer bulb was not just soft with no pressure but was collapsed. I played with it trying to get some fuel to the mtr and that worked for a few hundred feet. played around again and was able to get some fuel in the mtr and went another 100'. Tried again and the bulb picked up gas and pumped up tight and from that point it ran fine. I inspected the fuel lines and could not find a leak. Had a qtr tank of gas. Would trash in the tank getting into the pick up tube cause it? Thanks. WH

i have had fuel trouble for 2 months now . put all new lines and a new pick up tube and put new gas in the 28 gal tank . i added a inline fillter with in 40 min. the fillter was full of junk . now i need to remove the fuel tank . any one know a easy way to remove the inboard tank.????