1998 90HP Evinrude Problems!

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So to sum up the last couple weeks. turns out it was boxed wrong and they sent out a 88-91 powerhead. I was able to return the wrong one and get the right one shipped out.... after a few days of hassle, but that’s irrelevant here...
now I am back to putting it all together and it’s going smooth. My problem now is I am trying to run all my fuel lines and I am having trouble figuring out how to route them and where to connect them. I have the manual but i can’t find any diagrams. Anyone able to help with this?
you are just connecting a non VRO fuel pump setup i'm assuming here? Do you have the original fuel manifold assembly>? it's just fuel in from the pump (5/16''), fuel out to manifold (5/16) and the lines to each carb, top and bottom 5/32 i believe. the primer goes out the middle, or if you don't have the tee one , its on the manifold. did you take all the fuel hoses off and discard them?

Cooks

Seaman Apprentice
you are just connecting a non VRO fuel pump setup i'm assuming here? Do you have the original fuel manifold assembly>? it's just fuel in from the pump (5/16''), fuel out to manifold (5/16) and the lines to each carb, top and bottom 5/32 i believe. the primer goes out the middle, or if you don't have the tee one , its on the manifold. did you take all the fuel hoses off and discard them?
I did keep the old lines but took everything apart to clean it. I had taken pictures, months ago, but they disappeared after doing a back up to my phone and weren’t saved to the cloud. It is a nonVRO. I was tracing out the lines and trying to use the pre-shape of them to try and get it in the right spot, but I wanted to be 100% sure I had the lines set up the right way.

Cooks

Seaman Apprentice
Also should I put everything (carbs, intake, ignition, and electrical) all back together on the bench and drop the basically complete top end on, or should I leave the power head bare and then build it after it is back on the motor?

Cooks

Seaman Apprentice
I have the main lines configured, but the breather lines I am having troubles with

ct1762@gmail.com

I have the main lines configured, but the breather lines I am having troubles with
i always assemble everything on the bench. just helps me to access all angles. only thing i leave for when powerhead is on the mid is to torque the flywheel. don't worry about the fuel hose lenghts if they are off a little... you can't really screw anything up there. if you send a pic of what you are stuck on, i'm sure we can walk you through it, but the factory manual has the hose routing chart... do you have a newer manual for your motor?

Cooks

Seaman Apprentice
i always assemble everything on the bench. just helps me to access all angles. only thing i leave for when powerhead is on the mid is to torque the flywheel. don't worry about the fuel hose lenghts if they are off a little... you can't really screw anything up there. if you send a pic of what you are stuck on, i'm sure we can walk you through it, but the factory manual has the hose routing chart... do you have a newer manual for your motor?
I will try and send a picture in the morning. I have the manual but couldn’t find what I was looking for. I basically need to know where the electric primer lines go, and also the check valves on the manifold, basically all the small lines.

ct1762@gmail.com

I will try and send a picture in the morning. I have the manual but couldn’t find what I was looking for. I basically need to know where the electric primer lines go, and also the check valves on the manifold, basically all the small lines.
check/recirculation lines: there are 6 in total on the intake manifold. just take a look at the schematic on marineengine.com or elsewhere in the manual to see were they go. the 4 on the intake manifold has a tee fitting so they all feed down into 2. basically its this : the fittings on the intake manifold flow OUT, but not in, and the ones on the block flow IN but not out, so it "recirculates" the unburned fuel mix. prior to 1980, they didn't even have these and many guys block them off. I think idle is a little lumpier, but can go that route too as the recirc fittings are usually clogged, and $30 a pop.