1997 wellcraft excel 21 SX restoration and improvements

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys the weather has finally turned for the worst, well enough for me to convince the misses that the boat is better off getting fixed up now rather than spending more money on it,=ie the carb died in the bum and then flattened the battery whilst in the middle of the lake skiing and tubing. Now, I tell you karma is REAL. we were out on saturday and from the shore we were watching a few guys wakeboarding behind a jetski, but for some reason they had stopped out on the lake for about 15-20 min and I thought thats a bit odd, so the old man and I went over to ask if all was well, and nope, the rope had gotten sucked up into the intake and they were stuck, so we took them back to the ramp, helped load it on and pull out part of the rope and off they went..................

Well about two hours later the carb died and then the battery, so we were stuck. after jumping in to swim it back to shore :eek: a lovely couple who had borrowed our air pump for their tube noticed we were stuck and came in and towed US back in. see guys you give a little, you get a little.

So there is the reasons for staring before winter, and I will outlay my plan for the resoration. A few people on here will already be pretty clued in on what Im going to do as I have asked quite a few questions and had some GREAT help.

i'll list in order of what Im going to do.
*remove motor and drive,
*Check for Rot (will dictate how much I extra work I have to do.)
*Build L shape rear seat and full sunpad with storage either side of motor,
*Remove all decals and stickers off hull,
*Fix all stress cracks and chips in gel coat,
*Paint hull or new graphics, Still not sure on that one yet.
*Completely Rewire boat
*Fit in captains chair for driver,
*Replace ALL coroded parts, power steering, any lines or wires etc etc.
*Recarpet,
*New vinyl and change colour theme.
*Custom windscreen?
*Stereo,
*Waketower
*and a special thanks goes out to chriscraft254 for proving to me that you can never have enough lower draw LED's in your boat and for giving me the inspiration to fit LED lights for every conceivable occasion. :D (actually the thanks is for showing What parts he used and how he set it up so I can steal his ideas (or is that borrow, I don't want to break any copyright!:rolleyes:))

My aim is to make everything look like thats how it left the factory, so here goes nothing haha

Ok SO........... today I started, pretty much because my boat had turned into a pool, We have had heavy rain for nearly two days straight now and I went out today to check on her and............ a bit of rusted metal had fallen of the bracket and blocked the drain, so over night MY boat filled up to the top of the ski locker!!!!! I didn't get a photo as I jumped in and just about *(*&^&* my pants!

anyways I unblocked it, realised the carpet was trashed so I thought hey, Im going to pull that out......... so I did, now I can have a good look at the floor. It appears factory to me, the only places im worried about are where the boards were joined by what look like staples on steroids??? then they were thinly glassed over with an occasional bit of mat thrown in the mix... But I still cant feel any soft spots? Ill get some better photos up tomorrow, but There are some places that appear darker than all the rest, although my boat was Incredibly wet...

when I have finished using the boat Its very rare for water to come out the drain, also when not using it for awhile It doesn't drip? Is this a good sign that I DON"T have water logged foam?

I will drill some exploratory holes but every thing feels solid, hopefully once I post some decent photos if there is something obvious that I have missed you guys can point it out to me. the upside is that my transom barely flexes when I pull on the outdrive.

IM really hoping that I won't have much rot to deal with but Im guessing that Its inevitable with a boat of this year.

Ok so I took a photo of the carby I'll see if any eagle eyes can spot what on earth was wrong with it. haha It was right there and I didn't notice it untill I faceplanted the alternator. (PS: guys and girls, when sweeping years of muck out from a boat, DO NOT TRIP on the broom, Motors do not make that great a crash pad :facepalm: )

ok here are my carpy photos and ill get some good ones up soon. This will be a long process and Im sure that I will have MANY many questions, so please bear with me and point me in the right direction.

Cheers Nick

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 wellcraft excel 21 SX restoration and improvements

Boat Before
2012-02-19_19-30-08_350.jpg

interior before
2012-02-19_19-29-49_61.jpg

Motor
2012-02-19_19-28-55_646.jpg

carpet removal and floor FRONT
2012-02-28_15-26-03_5.jpg

carpet removal and floor AFT
2012-02-28_15-26-11_380.jpg

Yukky carpet
2012-02-28_15-26-17_365.jpg

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

DIRTY dirty bilge (my bad, I find it really hard to drain the oil and not make a mess)
2012-02-28_15-26-48_814.jpg

Rusty bracket
2012-02-28_15-26-27_414.jpg

Really bad battery set up
2012-02-28_15-26-40_558.jpg

...Now for you eagle eyes what is wrong with this carb?, its a 5.7 merc 260hp I believe....
2012-02-28_15-27-09_787.jpg

evolution1985

Petty Officer 1st Class

on the floor you will notice really dark patches, now I vaccume this boat ALLOT, yet when I pulled up the carpet there was ALLOT of dirt and stuff underneath the carpet, The adhesive had let go completely it was not that hard to pull up, only a bit tough where the staples were. Im pretty certain its all factory, it even had the original am-fm tape deck in it when I got it, so i don't know if thats a blessing or a curse yet, but I guess I will find out in due course.:rolleyes:

Red955i

Cadet

I have a 21 SL which I believe is the cuddy version...Did you take any pictures of how your rear seats were constructed? Mine were changed and Id like to go back to the original layout

Thanks
Bob
EDIT

on the floor you will notice really dark patches, now I vaccume this boat ALLOT, yet when I pulled up the carpet there was ALLOT of dirt and stuff underneath the carpet, The adhesive had let go completely it was not that hard to pull up, only a bit tough where the staples were. Im pretty certain its all factory, it even had the original am-fm tape deck in it when I got it, so i don't know if thats a blessing or a curse yet, but I guess I will find out in due course.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: