1997 sea doo xp dess issue

Scarter3689

Recruit
My 97 xp will give me the double beep about 90% of the time and start perfect, but the other 10% it does nothing and gives me a long beep when trying to start. The gauges always turn on and I've recently just replaced solenoid. It started randomly when taking ski to the launch. I shut it off and it didn't start back up. I know these things wear out and I'm trying to figure out if it is the key or the post that is going bad. Any help would be appreciated

hypersniper

Banned
Re: 1997 sea doo xp dess issue

it is more common for the posts to go bad then the key. its a known issue with them. easy replacement.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 sea doo xp dess issue

My 97 xp will give me the double beep about 90% of the time and start perfect, but the other 10% it does nothing and gives me a long beep when trying to start. The gauges always turn on and I've recently just replaced solenoid. It started randomly when taking ski to the launch. I shut it off and it didn't start back up. I know these things wear out and I'm trying to figure out if it is the key or the post that is going bad. Any help would be appreciated

Before you spend money on a DESS post, try this: momentarily press the start/stop button every time before you install the key onto the post. My ski's all do the same as yours sometimes if I don't hit the button first. Ever since I started doing this procedure, I never get the long beep anymore.