1997 Saltwater series II OX66

Cliffteeray

Cadet
I am considering purchasing a Grady-white that has twin 200 1997 Saltwater series II OX66. The engines have approx. 350 hours. As these engines are no longer being made will I have any problems getting them serviced and finding parts?

Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1997 Saltwater series II OX66

parts are readily available..but it has been my experience that finding a qualified, worthy outboard mechanic can be a real problem. If you have a top notch yammy mechanic in your area you are very fortunate. I am not a big fan of EFI outboards because it almost forces you to depend on a dealer, who may or may not get around to your motor anytime soon and will be sure to charge you big time for every minuet they spend thinking about your motor. $1500-2500 repair bills are common and thats just for 1 motor. If you are a DIYer you may want to consider a boat with carrbed motors. something you can work on. even if you take it to a shop, most outboard mechanics can trouble shoot and repair carbbed motors for a fraction of the cost of a EFI. for example a carbbed fuel pump is around $350, while a high pressure fuel pump for a EFI start at around $700 and go up from there. ECU cost around $1200 and up and there are many $300-700 parts that can and do go bad...keeping a pair of 15 year old EFI outboards maintained could cost you much more than you think. just search ox66 in this forum for a taste of what all can go wrong with them.