1997 Mercury Promax 225 starts and dies.

slayer021175666

Seaman Apprentice
I let her sit for 4 years and she wouldn't start. I found out the HP fuel pump wasn't working. Put it in sea foam for a day and got it to free up. Put the VST back together and installed it. Started right up and then died after a couple seconds. Now, I've tried it a lot of times and always the same. Starts up but, dies almost immediately. Over and over. check fuel pressure and it says 34psi. I'm at my wit's end and hoping for some help with it.
Thank You to All.

Dukedog

Captain
34lbs is borderline... does tha pump continue runnin' after motor stalls?.. does it shut off after 30 or so seconds if motor is not started?.. if it sat up for that long ya got a lotta cleanin' ta do.. start with vst.. clean needle and seat, float, replace filter at bottom of electric pump... mechanical pump needs ta be cleaned and new "kit".. ALL fuel lines need ta be changed.. water sep/fuel filter needs ta be changed.. injectors needs ta cleaned/tested.. jus ta start with a few things...not doin' these things could lead ta a bigger disaster if ya do get it runnin' like it is.. if you don't have one already send me an email addy and i'll send ya an OEM manual...

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Your not trying to run the motor with the VST full of seafoam are you?

Have you tried to give it more throttle to keep it running?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The regulator maybe iffy also...…..just had to buy one of the $250 crappers for a customer