1997 MERC 115HP

wdknox

Seaman
Can anyone give me any insight on this motor. I am thinking about buying a boat with this motor. I was talking to a mechanic that had installed a new tach on this boat. He said this motor was designed to idle on two cylinders and once it get above 2000 rpms the other two engauge. Never herd of such a thing, so I was wanting to find out if this was true. And also any thoughts about this motor.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 MERC 115HP

Howdy Tex,<br />I've read here on the board something about what you discribe but I can't remember the particulars. You can always try the "Search Forums" or just keep this post up close to the top.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 MERC 115HP

Ok, her is how this is done.<br /><br />The top two carbs have idle jets, the bottom two do not. Only the top two make power under 2200RPM. There is an accelerator pump on the bottom carbs to get them going when you slam the throttle down, otherwise the bottom two get just enough to lubricate, but not enough to make any power.<br /><br />I have heard that you can take the bottom carbs and replace them with top carbs and it will run on all four all the time.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Craig