1997 5.7LX no start

chapp252

Cadet
Perfect. I’ll trace the grey wires and remove the black one. Not sure where it needs to be.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Perfect. I’ll trace the grey wires and remove the black one. Not sure where it needs to be.

There are few spare ground wires in the harness. Maybe someone saw it and decided it needed to go somewhere, and the minus sign on the coil was as good as any. :facepalm:

Best place for that ground wire is the body of the distributor.

Chris...

chapp252

Cadet
I will move it. So, I was diggin around more and Found someone saying that there were two different coils that I could use. One with an internal resistor that would show around 9 volts until it was cranking. They said this was to protect the points style ignition. The other was a not internally resisted coil that would show 12 volts no matter what.
if this is true, then that May explain my voltage drop.

could I have the wrong coil?

alldodge

Staff member
One with an internal resistor that would show around 9 volts until it was cranking.

You should see 12V on the coil full time, and using an internal resistance coil would be correct. Taking the ground off the coil could fix all kinds of things

chapp252

Cadet
That black wire was not suppose to be connected to the coil. I replaced the ICM and then removed the ground and she is running well.