1997 200 Ocean Pro Ignition issues

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice
Good Afternoon,

I normally use the search function in a forum and find the answers to all my questions, but this time I'm gonna have to reach out.

I have a '97 Ocean Pro 200 hp (J200TXEUA) that I've had for about a year. I also have the factory shop manual, a good set of tooling, and good working knowledge of many different gasoline engines. I'm not an outboard tech, but I work in a mechanical field.

At the end of last season, my outboard started running on one bank of cylinders which I troubleshot to the power pack. I replaced the power pack at the beginning of this spring and the motor has been running great. I've probably put about 20 hrs on it since the new power pack. A few weeks ago we were going out, engine running great, and I got into a no wake zone. While running slow, the engine died once. I restarted easily and continued to motor on. About a minute later it died again. This time I could not restart it and had to get towed. (thanks Tow Boat US!!)

That night it had no spark and would not start on the hose, includes eliminating the shift switch and the kill switch. Fast forward to today. I've ran through all the tests in the book for the stator and timer base... assuming the power pack is good (new) and here's what I found:

Stator ohms: 980 (good)
Stator output: 120 vac and 125 vac (bad, should be 130+)

Timer base D to D ohms: 230 (good)
Timer base D to starboard A/B/C ohms: 980 (good) / 4K (??) / 990 (good)
Timer base D to port A/B/C ohms: 4K (WTF?) / 980 (good) / 3.8K (huh?)

I swapped to polarity to see if it read different and it had no reading, so those paths have diodes in them or something.

Here's the fun part, after the test I hooked it all back up and it ran for about 10 minutes on the hose. Ran great until I shut it down. Obviously, I'm very gun shy about putting it on the water, but here are my thoughts:

1. Stator and timer base readings are out according to the book, maybe I should replace them. ($250 each and I still don't know if I fixed it)

2. My new power pack is flaking out! (still got warranty. $0, yay!)

3. Could a voltage regulator/rectifier be flaking out when it gets hot causing this? I would think if it failed, then it just wouldn't charge but not sure.

I'm really leaning towards timer base. Even though the stator voltages are low, I thought they either work or don't. Cranking RPM can affect the voltage and I didn't check that, but I was using two batteries.

Guess I need a nudge before I spend the $250. The real question, can a timer base be intermittent?

Thanks a bunch in advance. :D

Tim

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1997 200 Ocean Pro Ignition issues

OK, let it set for about an hour and did the timer base output test again.

1. Unconnected all less than 0.1 volts. (less than 0.2 vac is bad)

2. Connected all less than 0.4 volts. (less than 0.8 vac is bad)

This time my stator was up to 127.5 vac output. Still not 130, but I think it has to do with rpm's and an hour rest for the batteries may have perked it up.

Sooooo..... sound like a bad timer base?? Getting heat soaked and quitting?? Anyone second the motion?? Bueller, Bueller?? :D

Thanks,
Tim

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the harness connector port side of engine with black/yellow wire, look for arcing between the black/yellow and black. connector will have black tracking mark inside. You using a peak reading meter?

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice

Check the harness connector port side of engine with black/yellow wire, look for arcing between the black/yellow and black. connector will have black tracking mark inside. You using a peak reading meter?

I am using an old digital OTC Autometer with peak (min/max) for voltage capture. Is the black/yellow and black connector the kill switch plug? I never could find it except right at the power pack if that's the case. If it is, that was the first plug I disconnected to try and run it. I also disconnected the neutral switch, and the overtemp switch. I did find a little two wire plastic plug on the port side of the motor and I thought that may be the kill switch. I unplugged it out on the water to see if it would run, and again in the driveway, and no joy. I will look for that connector again.

Timer base? Anyone have experience with them? Not that I want to buy one, but I may just for peace of mind. :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

I don`t think the OTC will read peak volts. Wiring diagram in back of manual, help to locate wires.

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice

clanton

Rear Admiral

I looked. Comes with temp probe and connector for tach. If the price is right some of the posters might want one.

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice

I looked. Comes with temp probe and connector for tach. If the price is right some of the posters might want one.

They make different temp probes too! I have a surface one, great for finding the cold cylinder. It's really a great alternative to a fluke, more functions for less.