1997 150 Hp Merc V6 Offshore

schaiss

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
58
All last season, when putting my engine in gear, fwd or rev, it was loud. I thought the transfer from nuetral to fwd or rev should be smooth with no noise. I spoke with a mechanic and he tells me that this model engine has a pre-loaded drive shaft and that some noise is normal. I put over 100 hours on the engine last season and did not find any metal in the gear lube when I drained it at the end of the season. Does one know about pre-loaded drive shafts and should I be concerned with the noise ?
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: 1997 150 Hp Merc V6 Offshore

Howdy, Aquasporter.<br /><br />You're not going to get much response on the JohnnyRude Forum.<br /><br />Moving to Merc Troubles.
 

ReelDrag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jul 12, 2002
Messages
143
Re: 1997 150 Hp Merc V6 Offshore

Every Mercury motor I've seen makes that clunk when shifting into gear. Don't think you have a problem.
 
Top