1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GL starter not engaging

scout4882

Recruit
The starter on my 96 larson 174 sei with 4.3 gl volvo penta just spins, it had low voltage, so i jumped it and charged it up, it turned over and ran in the driveway just fine. I get to the ramp and it turned once and then the starter just spun.

I thought it was the solenoid, so I bench tested it, looks good, flywheel looks good, teeth all there. Put the starter back on and it sounds like its shooting out, but its not touching the flywheel.

Checked connections and voltage.
Checked mounting bolts.
Checked starter itself.
Used new battery.

No change, is there a way that my flywheel could be broken? I'm going to buy a new stater, but it seems that this one is shooting out.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the starter, have the bendix replaced

If its grinding, you may need to shim

scout4882

Recruit
Not Grinding, there were no shims on the original starter, just mounts right to the block.

Where does one take a starter to have the bendix replaced?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A starter repair shop. Look in your local yellow pages or google

scout4882

Recruit
Long time ago and a boat far far away... Finally had google send me back to forums.iBoats.com to check my password. But in case anyone else is searching.

It was NOT the starter!! I went through 3 good starters that year, and a lot of knuckle bruises and cuts.

It WAS a combination of my roommates BUTT connector repairs and the starter wiring. I did not understand how or why the starter was wired the way it was, and how the fuel pump would prime the engine just before ignition. I wired it incorrectly a few times and the starter would fire and spin, but not retract! BIG OOF!

After using this forum and searching for the service manual online, I was finally able to track it down to a stupid butt connector. This explains why it would work in the driveway, but not at the ramp, because the connector got jostled on the trip.