1996 suzuki dt 85 lower unit removel?

durabostbay

Cadet
Howdy all, I have a 1996 Suzuki dt 85 that hasn't been in the water in 4 years. Trying to change water pump impeller before putting it back in the water. I have removed 7 bolts and 2 nuts and disconnected the shift linkage. But I cannot get the lower unit to budge a mm. Am I missing a bolt somewhere? Is there a trick to getting this thing apart? I have already learned the hard way not to beat on the fin that goes around the lower unit. The studs with nuts look corroded with a little rust. Should i try heating them up?

robert graham

Admiral
Might try making about 6 small wooden wedges and tap each into small crack where lower unit attaches…3 on each side….keep tapping each wedge and leave it overnight….keep working on it…

durabostbay

Cadet
I got it off and replaced my water pump impeller. I applied heat around the 2 studs and used a chisel in the top front seam while using a dead blow hammer on the rear support of the anti cavitation plate. Once I got a large enough crack I used screw drivers in the front and dead blow in the back until it came off. A couple things I learned is never ever ever ever hit the fins that wrap around the lower unit with anything. They are extremely brittle and will break. Don't ask me how I know. There appears to be 2 seams between the lower unit and leg. The top seam is where the lower unit seperates from the leg. Clean the bolts and studs good and use antiseize.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
and do not wait so long to drop the lower unit and change the water pump.
gives a chance to clean everything and lube it up, even the drive shaft where it goes into the power head.
those are even harder to get apart if they rust together

It is going to get interesting when you try to disconnect the gear shift rod. Mine is a 1988 and the gear shift disconnected when I accidently bumped the lower end and it turned counterclockwise about a quarter turn or less. The repair manual didn't give me any info on this.

Right now I am trying to discover why the motor over-heats. The water pump impeller looks just like the new one. The thermostat does open in boiling hot water and close in cool water. I can blow compressed air into the ports and into the tube but cannot detect the air coming out anywhere. As soon as the lake clears up (after this windy period) I'll pump lake water into the tube (above the water pump) to see where it comes out if at all. I do drive thru weeds for a distance of 300 feet from my dock. I always stop in the lake to clear weeds from the prop but there is never any weeds over the inlet.
Any comments?
It just occurred to me that I didn't check the tube properly while blowing back with compressed air.