1996 Regal Rush XP120 Jet Boat Engine Hatch Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerASki

Seaman
Gas struts not working. This video is an aid in obtaining the strut compression distance when the hatch is closed.
1. Measure strut completely extended - from plastic connector hole to plastic connector hole.
2. Place a piece of tape on the rod.
3. Place smart phone inside engine compartment in 'selfie' mode. Arrange so you can see the strut. Turn on video. Close the hatch. Look at the video. Keep trying until you get a good video. You will have to adjust tape and probably turn on the camera's light feature.
4. When acceptable video is obtained measure the number of inches the rod traveled to the tape. Subtract that number from the extended length.
5. Use these measurements when internet searching new struts. If you are happy with your existing struts just order the same part number and install.
6. Since my hatch only opened about 30 degrees I wanted struts that would open greater than 75 degrees so I needed to know how many inches the hatch needed to close in order to purchase the correct struts.
7. Be sure to discuss measurements with the strut company before ordering.
8. Hope this helps!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xxTvBwvcBk4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
To get your gas strut to travel enough to open to 75 degrees, you are going to have to relocate the one bracket.

Go to any of the gass spring sites (suspa, pbas, ace, etc) and they have installation guides.

You dont need a video, you only need common sense

RogerASki

Seaman
No Title

Comparison of ~30 degree and ~75 degree opening of 1996 Regal Rush XP120 engine hatch. First set of gas struts were 5200-30 (17" came with boat) and the new set 5300-30 - 20" just installed. Not quite 90 degrees, which I would have preferred, but it works okay, especially since I did not have to move hinges.

Struts purchased from http://www.RVupgrades.com

Attachments

• photo266608.jpg
    photo266608.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.