1996 Ocean Pro 200 stalls under load

Norsemen9

Cadet
Got an 1996 Ocean Pro 200 that runs great except that at around 1800 rpm under a moderate load (pulling a large wakeboarder) she stalls out. Makes it impossible to steadily accelerate the skier out of the water, without jumping on the throttle to get past the stall.

Have replaced antisyphon valve, fuel line and bulb. Considering carb rebuilds, because to my knowledge this has not been done since the motor was new 450 hrs. back.

Any idea's on possible causes for the stall? With the Facorty Service Manual in hand, the carb rebuild seems doable, but I'm most concerned about the adjustments at the end. (With 6 carbs being adjusted individually, it's got to be difficult to read the motor?)

daselbee

Commander
Re: 1996 Ocean Pro 200 stalls under load

I wouldn't worry too much about any adjustments right now.

If it were mine, I would remove the carb drain screws at the base of the carb bowls, and then remove the main jet from each carb.
Inspect the jets carefully loking for gunk or varnish. Any sign of such, I would do the full rebuild.
If they are clean, then maybe concentrate on spark quality, and timer base movement under the flywheel.

The only adjustment on those carbs is for idle mixture, and will not affect your 1800 rpm issue.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

At 1800rpm the carbs are in transition from midrange to high speed. The best way to fix your problem is to buy a aluminum prop 2 pitches under what you have now. This will allow engine to "pop" thru all ranges, more low end pulling torque and you will need to watch your top end rpm as it will be higher..........

daselbee

Commander

Fazt...you think maybe his timerbase could be sticking right there....at the 1800 point....
I don't think the timerbase has rotated all the way to the WOT stop at that point, and it is still under that spring pressure from the timing link which causes it to move. It it stops under there for some reason, it would probably stall the motor.

Regarding the carbs....I did not mean to suggest that if the main jets are clean, then your problem lies elsewhere.

You could very well have varnish in the intermediate circuits, etc. But I kinda look for varnish in the mains as a quick indicator. If those mains are gunked up, then absolutely start at the carbs. If they are clean, then possibly there is something else going on.
Like ignition quality.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Fazt...you think maybe his timerbase could be sticking right there....at the 1800 point....
I doubt its stickingas it should just starting to touch stop. Whats happening the heavier load pulled at 1800 rpm the engine is "lugging" wants more fuel and engine is not getting enough thus the stall and he has to stab it to get it on thru it(transition), bet with a lighter load he has no problems...

SparkieBoat

Captain

I wonder what his normal RPM is at WOT..if it is low like below 5K..defiantly prop issue..also could be fuel pump or ignition. the question to ask is did it just start this or has it always stalled out pulling tuber? also he did not mention changing the plugs..which probably needs to be done and make sure you use the correct Champion plugs.

Norsemen9

Cadet

Thanks, your replies have given me plenty to consider, but let me add this. After pulling the lg wakeboarder for some time, and a complete shutdown to change out the skiers, after getting starting back up the motor stalls very easily (under even lighter load). Also happens trying to load on the trailor while on a steep ramp. She stalls at slow speed when I accelerate to overcome the load. In some instances I have found the bulb to be extremely soft.

The problem has crept up on me over the last year, and I'm thinking that the ethanol in the gasoline could be breaking varish loose in the 14 year old fuel system.

Norsemen9

Cadet

Sorry SparkieBoat, I didn't see your reply. RPM at WOT is about 4800. Plugs are fresh. How often are carb rebuilds normally gone?

SparkieBoat

Captain

that is too low...you will add about 200 RPMs for every pitch you go down in your prop..it should be around 5500 RPMs at WOT..so you need to drop about 3-4" in pitch..if you are more concerned with a fast start than with top end you can get a 4 blade prop...I do a carb cleaning about once a year, sometimes once every 2 years..depends..I also use Sea Foam and have found it to be a great product to stop carb gunk. those carbs are easy to remove and clean and reinstall.I always clean the bowl out good and spray carb cleaner through the needle valve seat...But your main problem is prop...You may still have other issue..fuel or ignition. hard to tell without testing...Right plugs and right gap??

Norsemen9

Cadet

Thanks,..."remove, clean, reinstall"? Do you do a rebuild (with gaskets, new float etc) or an abbreviated version just to clean the bowl, and needle valve seat? Sounds more practical with less final adjustment.

Don't remember this problem 4-years ago when we bought the boat (with current prop), is it possible that the prop issue becomes apparent with a weakened fuel?system.

SparkieBoat

Captain

over propping a motor can cause premature wear..you need to check engine compression..also your stator, power pack and coils can weaken over time, but still work just not as good. If you have never replaced the fuel pump, you are lucky it lasted this long..they are pricey..so you can test the old one by removing plugs and disconnecting fuel line after fuel pump and it should be surging spurts of fuel while turning over motor. if the surges appear weak it could need replacing. If you have not replaced anything not he motor since new...you can figure on replacing fuel pump, stator, power pack and coils..parts will cost you around $800-900..but you should see a return of original horsepower and reduce the chance of being stranded or down over a holiday weekend. as long as your compression is good and carbs clean..and I just clean my carbs not rebuild.unless a part becomes damaged...maybe new carb seal kit if needed.

SparkieBoat

Captain

o yea if you do replace your electronics be sure to save your old parts..they can come in handy...CDI electronics site has all test for each part..boatfix.com is cheapest place I know to buy new CDI parts.