1996 Mercury 150 -question

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a 1996 Mercury 150 Ocean series. Motor has about 40 hours on it (looks brand new). Assuming everything checks out on this engine how much is it really worth? I can buy it for $4000 with stainless prop. It is a counter rotating lower unit/prop. It is on an 1987 boat that is worth nothing. Any help would be great.

G DANE

Commander
Re: 1996 Mercury 150 -question

To me USD 4000 sounds ok, but in the upper end, but i understand the engine shape is in the upper end too. You get what you pay for. Try to check at NADA.com. How can a boat from 1987 be worth nothing ? Is it damaged ?

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1996 Mercury 150 -question

GDane, good to hear from you. This engine is on a 1987 Bayliner Caprice with heavy sun damage to gelcoat. Also floor is soft...and transom looks like it could use some work. General condition of boat and trailer are poor. This motor was purchased new in 1997 and added to this boat. When I looked under cowling this motor is as new as it gets. Original everything and clean as a whistle. Exterior of motor is perfect except for paint has been cleaned off bottom of skeg and couple small dings in propeller blades. I am thinking of offering 3k and see what happens.....thanks....Doug