FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I just did a 2001 15 jonny that had 70 psi top & bottom,, After a light hone I went back with standard rings, Once I busted off the varnish in the cylinders I could still see the original cross hatch, the engine runs like new again says its owner.
the model # is j150exed. The problems were i cranked it up the other morning and while idling i heard a rapid tapping sound then the noise stopped and afew seconds later i heard the noise agin .i could tell it wasn't running on all 6 cylinders. So i pulled the plugs , #2 had metal shavings on it. So i pulled the head , #2 has minor scratches that appears to be honable. I'm worried about the rapid machine gun style tapping i heard. Someone else told me it might have sucked a reed. Would that ruin the engine? Thanx for any input
Best be pulling it right down. There may be more damage lurking along side the piston. It isn't often you get away with just a hone and rings when you have "visible aluminum on plugs" and knocking noises.