1996 Johnson 150 no spark

Cassidy0013

Cadet
Ok so I need some help I have no spark to all 6 spark plugs. I’ve changed the kill switch Removed the black and yellow wire and no luck. Ive unplugged shift switch and still no spark. I’m looking for a general detection to where I should look next. I was thinking the stator? Should I look somewhere else first? Thanks in advance!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Likely a 60 degree looper with optical ignition.------Model # required.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looper refers to the piston design on your motor.----Sometimes it is of great importance to verify what motor is being discussed !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That has the optical ignition.-----Throwing parts at it gets expensive.----A manual would guide you on testing of the components to find the faulty part.

Cassidy0013

Cadet
That has the optical ignition.-----Throwing parts at it gets expensive.----A manual would guide you on testing of the components to find the faulty part.
Ok thank you for the feed back I will for sure do that. Can anyone give me an idea of where to start at until I can get the manual?

Cassidy0013

Cadet
Ok so I’m getting 13 volts when check with a meter at the battery and when I test the yellow/red striped wire that feeds the power pack I am only getting 9.45 volts would that cause me to not have spark at all?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That motor likely feeds +12VDC to the powerpack when the starter is cranking. After the ign key is set to run, the ign power is all from the stator.

You might start by testing for +12VDC at the power pack when cranking, as she may not start without this auxiliary power.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Your 12 volt theory is all wrong. The pack doesn't use 12 volt.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some might say that the optical ignition packs use 12 volts during cranking !

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, Some might conclude that12VDC is used by the powerpack, if one looked at the wiring diagram, and specifically traced the yellow/red wire from the starter solenoid, to the powerpack.

However, there are alternate facts, or so I have been told.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
spinning fast enough to fire? may be a starter or battery issue.
Thus the reason 12V is sent to pack, it supply's voltage to pack and eye till engine starts and RPM increases so power coil (org wires) can start making voltage for sensors.