1996 Johnson 115hp FastStrike

I have a 96' Johnson 115hp Faststrike and I have a hard time getting it to start. The engine will crank and crank and then it will sputter a few times before it starts. After it starts it runs great until I turn it off then it is hard to start again. It has new spark plugs and the fuel filter is good. Does anybody know what my problem is?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Johnson 115hp FastStrike

start at the beginning. do a compression and spark test, when were your carbs last serviced? is this a new motor to you? when did this problem start? did you treat your fuel before winter storage? what spark plugs are you using?

I bout the boat in sept 07' and it had been garage kept 5 years without use, always started great and ran great, fished lots of tournaments. Last year about July it started doing that. It has gradually gotten worse. Changed the spark plugs did the test on plugs not compression, they were good. The spark plugs in it now are about 7 or 8 months old and they were the cheapest ones that walmart had. and as for the winter, I ran the boat all winter here in Arkansas so I thought it would be fine. Thanks so much!

i dont know when the last time that the carbs were serviced....haven't done that since I have had the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when you go cheap on an outboard, expect cheap results, you need the revcommended plugs, Champion QL78YC, gapped at .030. NAPA, has the plugs, or can have them i 6 hours.

the reason i said check compression and spark now, is to find out what it doing NOW, last fall is in the past, and makes no difference.

running a motor when something is possibly wrong, can be a very expensive mistake. stop and find out what the problem is, or you could be rebuilding or replacing.

get you compression #'s and do the spark check every auto parts store sells these:
http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Lisle-Ignition-Spark-Tester_item_372001.html?source=froogle
get one, and set it at 7/16 inch, you spark should jump the gap, and be blue.

post your results, and we will go from there.