1996 Johnson 112 VR Tough to Start

I have had this motor since 2001 and it has always been a bit reluctant to start, especially when cold. I have it on a dual battery system, and both batteries are at 12.4, 12.5 volts when I crank it. It always starts, but it likes to be choked and given RPM's more than I think it should. Is this just typical of the Johnson motors? It runs like a top and this problem seems to have nothing to do with fuel, spark plugs, etc.

This is a non regulated motor and the rectifier is charging the batteries just fine. Is there anything I can do to make this motor fire up a bit quicker?

Thanks,

Gravysandwich

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1996 Johnson 112 VR Tough to Start

I have the spl 112 johnson and what I do is put it at high throttle (mid level) and on neutral, prim bulb till hard, then i pray..(jk), I then turn the key to run while holding it down for about 8 seconds and then I crank it. It works. Try it and let me know if it worked for you.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have a 112 special. I remember it was very finicky also. If I can remember correctly, The first thing I did was pump the bulb hard. Secondly, I would crank the motor till it fired once(no throttle, no choke). Then I would add some throttle and choke it a bump at a time till it warmed up. It would still run awful(like it was running on 2 or 3 cyl) till the motor warmed up. But every time I bumped the choke, the motor would smooth out little by little till it started screaming and then I pulled tghe throttle back and away we went..... Good luck!!!!
I had some people say that thing was an anchor but I absolutely loved it!!!
I ran the stink out of it and i never got a major tune up! The only reason I got rid of the boat was because I moved to Hawaii and I couldn't take it with me. Take care of it and it will take care of you. It's just a booger starting it! HAHAHAHA

Keith

Both of those strategies sound very familiar. I have used both of them. My motor does run very well, but I have never been able to just lightly choke the motor and have it turn over. I hate the extra battery juice that it takes when it struggles to start.

My friend used to own a dealership and told me that when the motors came down the line at OMC, if the QC guy pulled the crank and it started up, they put an Evinrude sticker on it. If it took two tries to start, they stuck a Johnson decal on the motor!

He always enjoyed teling that story, but I do wish this motor would crank a little easier.

Gravysandwich

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

For motors that don't have a QuikStart powerpack, the trick for a cold start is advancing the timing, which is easy when you have a warm-up lever on your control.

When you don't have a warm-up lever you need to learn how to advance the throttle without engaging the gears and that is usually incorporated into the remote controls one way or another.

Once you have the timing advanced, a little judicious use of the primer solenoid should get you going more quickly.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You might want to do a quick test of the cold start primer solenoid just to be sure it is working. You can pull one of the small primer hoses off the brass hose barb on the top carb. Turn the key to on, and push in on the key. You should get some fuel out of that hose.

I will do exactly that. I have always kind of accepted the cold starting sluggishness of this motor, but I know that this reluctance to start is not designed in.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I will report back with some more info.

Gravysandwich

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is in a good state of tune, they start very easily.

Pump bulb until firm.

Turn key to on.

Push primer button in (key normally) for the count of 5 to 8.

Turn key to start while still holding it in.

Push key in as needed until it will run without it.

As for the exact position of the throttle....Mine doesn't have a warm up lever and starts best with no throttle at all....with a warm up lever.....use it.