1996 evinrude 48 hp keeps spinning prop hub help!!

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
So the engine is on a 20 foot pontoon and had an aluminum prop. I hit the prop and broke an ear off, I bought a new solas prop installed it and went to the lake. Spun that hub almost immediately.. bought second prop in stainless steel and spun the prop almost instantly... I am lost on what the issue could be. The prop shaft doesn't appear to be bent or damaged in any way.. the props were both solas brand props! Any help is appreciated!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not possible.-----How did it run for you last season ?------Sounds like the motor is mounted too high.-----Or water pump not working properly and hot exhaust is the issue.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is getting expensive for you!
I hate to ask but is this happening in the same location each time? As in are you hitting a log or rock? Has the water level dropped and left you in uncharted waters?
I don’t know what else to say.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Are these Props equipped with Rubber Hubs, or with the Shatter type Replaceable Hub Inserts?

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Not possible.-----How did it run for you last season ?------Sounds like the motor is mounted too high.-----Or water pump not working properly and hot exhaust is the issue.
Thats what I thought exactly. The new prop was never hit on anything it looks brand new but the rubber hub has slipped and melted. I marked the hub and put it back in and it definitely slipped. It has a new water pump and a full tune up from the mechanic.

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
This is getting expensive for you!
I hate to ask but is this happening in the same location each time? As in are you hitting a log or rock? Has the water level dropped and left you in uncharted waters?
I don’t know what else to say.
I agree. I am putting in at the same marina on a deep lake. Its in flood zone usually 20 feet deep its almost 30. I haven't hit anything in the water. Both props are in perfect condition minus the spun hub with melted rubber..... I was thinking cheap quality rubber hub?

kbait

Commander
I sent a prop to prop shop to get a new prop hub bushing pressed in for a customer. Came with a sticker saying before use, hub bushing must be ‘set’ by shifting F N R repeatedly for several minutes at low rpm in water over 70 degrees. My customer did not do that, and immediately spun hub (heavy boat/25 hp). Never heard of a new prop doing that, assuming they ’set’ the bushing at factory. Something different to try on #3 I guess 😎
Good luck!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I sent a prop to prop shop to get a new prop hub bushing pressed in for a customer. Came with a sticker saying before use, hub bushing must be ‘set’ by shifting F N R repeatedly for several minutes at low rpm in water over 70 degrees. My customer did not do that, and immediately spun hub (heavy boat/25 hp). Never heard of a new prop doing that, assuming they ’set’ the bushing at factory. Something different to try on #3 I guess 😎
Good luck!
Never heard of that. Perhaps they are also in the Business of selling Clutch Dogs too...