1996 Evinrude 25 hp not pissing out the top

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice
Already changed water pump and dropped the lower unit twice :p blew air through the bottom hose and felt air at the top... what else could it be? Thermostat was bad, took it out for now just to see if I could get it pushing water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Evinrude 25 hp not pissing out the top

you put the impeller the right way in?you check the water pickup on the L/U.you check for debree unter the water pump wear plate.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

If you are running it in a barrel, the water level needs to be above the water pump area on the leg.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

Not running it in a barrel, although I have seen people do it that way... Do I need to? Also, not sure about the impeller, is there a certain way to put it in? If so, that is probably the cause. How is it supposed to go in?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

How are you running the engine, in the water? The impeller will flip over to the correct rotation when you start the engine, should not be a problem.
Is the engine actually overheating, if not the tell-tale tube or fitting may be plugged, with the engine running use a piece of weed wacker line and shove it up into the tell-tale and see if it starts to pump water.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

It is running with the muffs on, should it be in water or a barrel? And yes the engine is getting hot, it's the reason why we decided to replace the water pump. As far as the tubing being plugged up, we pushed air up through the water tube from the LU and felt plenty of strong air out the top (the tube from the engine). What is the tell-tale? Is that the tube water comes out of from the upper part of the motor? If so that has been checked.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The tell-tale is the small stream of water the comes out of the lower cowling. The tell-tale is first in line from the pump, no water from the tell-tale is a sign that the pump is not working. You might try it in a barrel with the water level well above the pump and see how it works.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so the tell-tale is what I am noticing not pissin water, with me just putting on a new pump, it should be, there is water coming out of the other holes in the LU though:confused:-- so I guess its back to the drawing board then!! lol maybe I am not getting the tube hooked up to the pump when I put the LU back on? Any tricks for that one? It is quite difficult to see.

AlTn

Commander

put a light coating of grease on the inside and top of the rubber grommet coming from the water pump housing as well as a light coat on the outside lower part of the copper water tube as this will help them slip together as you push the lower unit into place

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What did the old impeller look like? Were there any pieces of it missing?

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

No pieces missing, it was very squishy though, so I guess I caught it before it fell apart. Not sure what to do. Guess I will remove the LU again and try to be sure the water hose connects completely. Oh, one other question was about the water pump rebuild kit. It came with several o-rings two of which I couldnt figure out where they went. The kit came with the housing, the plate, the impeller, the impeller housing, an odd shaped o-ring, a super thick little o-ring, and two medium sized thinner o-rings. The last two medium o-rings are the two that didnt seem to have a place... although im sure they do. Can anyone explain to me where they are supposed to go?

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

Just my 2 cents but I have had issues using muffs as well in the past. I always found it to be easier in a barrel or drum. Don't know what it is but for me muffs seem to only work half the time lol.

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I just heard from a guy that its a possibility that I didnt get the key way for the impeller in right. Evidently there is a certain way to get that thing in there! lol I dont even know the names of half the parts on this motor! And yeah bsmithbum those muffs seem to go bad pretty quickly, i have noticed that too lol

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

As far as the keyway goes if you didn't get it on it right the impeller would not have set flush and probably would have had an issue getting the housing back on.