1996 75hp Force needs magneto/flywheel

imported_robby

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 29, 2006
Messages
1
Anyone out there have a magneto for a '96 75 hp force outboard? One of the magnets is cracked and breaking apart. Is there any way of repairing the unit by replacing the damaged magnet - seems a shame to throw this unit out, plus the new ones are $500. Looking for options.

Thanks
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1996 75hp Force needs magneto/flywheel

Welcome to iboats.

Some people have tried fixing them, not me, wouldn't want it to fly apart on me. I would likely destroy the stator it I did.


Mercury part number 261-859236T14 FLYWHEEL ASSEMBLY $359 from
mercruiserparts dot com

Or try ebay.

Flywheel from a 1991-1995 70 hp may also fit, as the engines are almost identical except for the ignition.
 

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
39
Re: 1996 75hp Force needs magneto/flywheel

I've tried buying a used one. It broke apart within 10 hours causing more damage.They don't work! they are already stressed out and worn. it will come apart sooner or later. More often sooner.Buy new!
 
Top