1996 175 Evinrude, Missing around 2k and dying at random above that???? HELP!!!!!

kencraft69

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
10
So this issue started the last time i took the boat out last year. I was on plane coming into where i would slow to 6kts and the boat just dies, just like i turned the key off. I was a little worried so i just putted back to the dock with no issue and waited til the spring. So now i have gone out twice with the boat and i am having the same issues. I run around 4k on plane and i can run for a little while and then the boat will just die. but at under 1K speed it works, but runs rough.

So last time out i figured i would try to slow it down and run at around 1500-2000 rpms and see what it would do. Well you could deffenantly hear that it was missing. Sometimes it would be one miss and sometimes 2-3, but it would not really die. I am no expert at all when it comes to outboards so i need some serious help and what i should do to figure it out!! Thanks for any input.

Keith:confused:
 

kencraft69

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
10
Re: 1996 175 Evinrude, Missing around 2k and dying at random above that???? HELP!!!!

nobody has any input or thoughts????
 

southtex

Recruit
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
2
Re: 1996 175 Evinrude, Missing around 2k and dying at random above that???? HELP!!!!

Kencraft,

I own a 1995 Johnson 175 and I had a simular problem with it a while back. My engine would miss or cut out at high rpms (above 3500) It continued for a while until it completely stalled and would not run. I trailerd it home and there it started fine. I went back to the lake and it was dead. Went home and it was dead again ????? Man I was confused. I finally narrowed it down to the power pack and replaced it and it has been running great for a while now. You might look into the power pack. Good luck
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: 1996 175 Evinrude, Missing around 2k and dying at random above that???? HELP!!!!

check compression and spark for starters. could be power pack heating up and failing, could be coil heating up and failing. what ever do not run it like that.
 

kencraft69

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
10
Re: 1996 175 Evinrude, Missing around 2k and dying at random above that???? HELP!!!!

The compression is 105,105,105,105,110,105 respectfully. Manual says as long as they are within 15psi of each other.

I tried to do the powerpack test with a 10ohm-10watt resistor and found nothing on the voltmeter for any of the primary leads. I would think that either this is not right and something is wrong with my testing or i do actually have a bad powerpack.

Any thoughts??
 

kencraft69

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
10
Re: 1996 175 Evinrude, Missing around 2k and dying at random above that???? HELP!!!!

Just an FYI on what this problem was. I had another mech look at it and he found that the stator went bad, which caused the PP to miss on two cylinders. He also found that the timing plate was bad as well. Not really really sure if the plate was another problem or part of the whole one. best thing is, its fixed!:D
 
Top