1995 Volvo Penta 5.8 FSI

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The one that’s in most petrol boats from 2003-2010 ish or just after...of course 😂
Or the in house ones still currently coming out the factory in their thousands to present day..and dominating the V6 and short block v8 sector of all boats !
you cant use a GM EFI system on a ford motor

BTW, the EFI system and the series of motors that you are refering to have not been produced for 5 years..... remember the whole 7 years of support

what is being produced today is a completely different engine

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

BTW, the EFI system and the series of motors that you are refering to have not been produced for 5 years..... remember the whole 7 years of support

I didn’t suggest that to be fair. I agreed with you on that earlier. But if it was a GM Mpi...i said that would be different... earlier.
Also notice I said that they had been replaced with a new generation of mpi Scott. Still stand by what I said earlier. But there will not be an issue getting parts for GM mpi engines for decades to come Scott. Far too many of them in the world to stop the flow of parts. Far too many common shared parts with other engines too. Not a chance there will be issues with getting any part at all for these. For a long long time. Even the ecu could be made by an amateur these days. Just isn’t an issue with any bit of that engine and becoming obscure.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

Have a look at my lost at 7:22 Scott

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While it’s true that there will be thousands of GM MPI engines in use the applicability of that to marine use (do it yourselfers fixing their own boats) will only work if the parts are identical to marine operating parameters. For instance we know that Marine carbs and ignition systems have to be set up different to allow for the constant load so ECM programming has to be different.
And the searching for parts issue, well if you can’t fix stuff on your own I don’t see mechanics doing this for customers; they make money getting jobs done not waiting/searching for parts.
So for modern boats yes they will all have either throttle body injection or EFI and it’s fine for the first owner but after 10+ years parts availability is a toss up.

If you’re going to run older stuff then carbs are the way to go thanks to our strong classic car & restoration businesses and our aftermarket like Holley & Edelbrock...

Now Bernoulli’s Law isn’t so tough to understand is it?
As Cliff Ruggles the master of Quadrajets has said a well tuned Quadrajet is the next best thing to fuel injection...the same can be done with any other carb if you prefer to go new like Holley or Edelbrock you just need to learn their quirks. The knowledge is all there and so are the parts. If I put a Holley Sniper on my boat I’d want a shop trained to troubleshoot one of these instead of losing half a boating season to problems I might not be able to solve myself.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The one that’s in most petrol boats from 2003-2010 ish or just after...of course 😂
Or the in house ones still currently coming out the factory in their thousands to present day..and dominating the V6 and short block v8 sector of all boats !
There are no Ford engines in boats after 1996. Ford dropped all support for marine use after that.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just as a data point, there is exactly 1 dealer that comes up as being trained to install the Holley Sniper system in the entire metro NY area. I searched on Holley's site. Not sure if they even do marine work. So if you do an install and run into a problem you have there is only one shop who's been trained....if you have a carb problem....there are probably at least 20 shops across Long Island who can do marine inboard and outboard carbs.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

see what I'm talking about?
we had one of the Ford Windsor series of engines in our 1970 Ford Torino, a 5 liter (302 cu in) with a points distributor and Autolite 2bbl carb. Nice simple engine. I liked the Ford engines due to the fact that both the distributor and oil filter were mounted up front. Not in the rear like GM (Chevrolets, Olds, and Pontiac had the distributer in the rear, Buick and Cadillac had it up front)