1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration SPLASH

Re: Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration SPLASH

DSC01842.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

The Recycle place

DSC01846.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

I had a little bit of time so I wanted to post some updates. We have been out on the boat every weekend, and we are having a blast. Dad and I have cut the template for the carpet and sent it off to get cut, and I hope to have it back in a couple of weeks. I have to say, cutting out that template was WAAAAAAAAY harder than I thought it would be. It was like wrestling a pig covered in salad oil. After about 4 hours, we finally had it done. Once that was done we had to come up with a color. That took hours and hours with the first mate out in the sun light comparing. We finally chose a grey/silver berber that will pick up the greys in the boat. We plan to eventually replace all the ugly blue carpet with grey soon anyway. So now we wait.

Last weekend we had a little indecent on the lake. As alot of you know, Texas is in a sever drought and our lake is about 4 feet low. I was going through a cut that I use every weekend, and there was a park ranger behind me, and a bunch of other boats in the same cut. Well I went too far to the starboard side and struck a rock at idle. It went from 10 feet to 3 feet in a flash. Once I was through the cut I jumped in to find out what I did, and All I found was two little nicks in the prop that can be fixed. I took off again and felt nothing out of the ordinary and we had fun the rest of the day. About 5 hours of skiing and tubing later the alarm went off... low gear oil. I panicked! I looked around the drive and I could not see any gear oil at all, and I was puzzled. I added more gear oil and we ran around to see if it would eat any more, and it seamed to be fine. Now the expansion tank was a little low already due to an air bubble from the rebuild, (Air gets trapped in the drive when you fill it and will burp for a while) and I had not refilled yet. It had been like that for weeks so all it dropped was about an ounce. I am just hoping that another air bubble popped up and dropped the tank down just enough to throw the alarm. Otherwise I am going to be out a lower unit.

Friscoboater

Captain

After being out on the boat for about three weekends the water pump gave up the ghost. Here is how I replaced it.

Friscoboater

Captain

I decided the boat need more bling, so I purchased a wake tower, and Dad and I installed it. I got it from bulletlines out of San Antonio and it went on ok, but I would change a few things if I had to do over again. These towers are made in china, and they have some fit and finish issues that you must work through. Not a huge deal, but over all a good tower. I like how the tower frames this wind shield. I forgot to take pictures, but I will this weekend.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, guys, I am running out of things to do on this boat. I am sad that it is really coming to and end, but is ain't over yet!!!!!

I got the carpet in .... Whooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a very long process. I had to order the template, cut out the template, and send it away and wait for a price. It was WAAAAAAAAYYYYY more expensive than I ever thought it would be (little over 8 hundred shipped), but it was well worth it. It looks and fits perfectly, and I do not even have to use anything to hold it down. It is so heavy It just lays perfect.

Here is the story.

My Dada and I cutting the template. Just take your time with this, and it will lay out.

DSC01011.jpg

We left about one inch around the outside for water shedding

DSC01013.jpg

You need to cut relief slits so that they can bind the carpet, and allow you to lay it around the seat.

DSC01018.jpg

Silver and grey berber

DSC01046.jpg

I chose Sunbrella Canvas for the binding

DSC01047.jpg

This is the Aquamat backing that adds all the weight.

DSC01049.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Taaa Daaaa! It turned out better than I thought it would.

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Here is the complete how too video on how I cut the template.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I guess we can call this project a wrap. I want to thank iboats.com for providing a great forum for us to collaborate, and I especially want to thank all the people here. You guys helped me through a really hard time in my life (much more than is posted here). There were ups, and there were downs, but the boat is done!!!! I have learned alot through the 8 month rebuild, and I have learned that I love to build boats. So we just might do this again.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Here are some finished shots of the boat.

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

And last but not least

Before
DSC00551.jpg

After

DSC01007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.