1995 Johnson 70 No Spark

jmurrayy

Cadet
I have a 1995 Johnson 70 with no spark.

Long story short I was working on the carbs, dropped a bolt and stupidly tried to fish it up with a copper wire I had nearby. Something ark’ed on the motor around the power pack area and there was a small spark. Since then I’ve had no spark.

Since my mistake I have replaced the power pack and stator under the advice of a mechanic however I still have no spark. I’m not sure what to do next here without just throwing more parts and money at it. Nothing seems to be melting/worn under the flywheel or anywhere under the cowling.

Any suggestions?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your mechanic suggested replacing parts without any testing ??-----There are no fuses that can prevent spark.---If you have a multimeter you can test components easily.----Also charge the battery and have the battery load tested.----Don't throw the powerpack and stator away !!

jmurrayy

Cadet
I’ve run the tests, the only thing that seemed out of the ordinary was the stator that gave me a low resistance according to the cdi guide. I was almost certain that was the problem and found some chaffed wires when I pulled the original stator. The battery has been kept on a trickle in the garage before every use.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How are you testing spark?----Do you have a test device with gaps you can set at 3/8" ?----Have you checked starter motor / battery cables / load tested battery.

jmurrayy

Cadet
How are you testing spark?----Do you have a test device with gaps you can set at 3/8" ?----Have you checked starter motor / battery cables / load tested battery.
I have a gap tester. I'll have the battery load tested tomorrow, the connections look clean and it cranks hard.

jmurrayy

Cadet
I was finally able to load test the battery, it was good so I left it on the trickle over night. I think my gap tester is faulty because I tested it on another running motor and it wasn’t working. I was able to see spark holding the plug up to the block. I now can get the motor to run, but after the first start it sounds like it is hitting redline at idle! Never had this happen before, any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4878.MOV
    21.2 MB · Views: 0

jmurrayy

Cadet
Also, if I pull the top plug it will idle roughly but better than with all three in. Could a bad coil cause this?