1995 Johnson 200 HP Venom water pump removal and install

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, its been awhile since I've posted. I am currently undergoing my next project boat. We recently purchased a 1995 Stratos 201 FS with a 200 hp johnson Venom outboard motor. I am going to replace the water pump impeller system and the instructions in the service manual are a little vague on the removal process. It shows an area to remove the linkage but not quite clear. I see under the six pack of carburetors 2 bolts one is on top and one to the side of the shift linkage. Do both bolts have to be loosened up to remove the linkage? I'm under the impression that I follow the instructions in the service manual for the 90 degree looper. Is that correct for this beast of an outboard, I have worked on many outboards but usually ranging from 10-25 hp Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
just one of them, its a long bolthead screw with a pin on the end. top is the one, the shift shaft has a hole in it which the pin goes through.
It can be tricky to reinstall due to its position tucked away under the carbs.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you for the reply. it took some serious ingenuity to get it all back together but with the help of my better half it was accomplished. we bought this boat under the assurance of the seller that it was "good to go", insert donkey head and heehaw heehaw, that is the reason for me not being on this site or any site for that matter we finally got it on the water to enjoy last weekend. the only draw back is this boat wants to go over 30 on plane and i'm having a hard time getting it to plane @ 20 -25 mph as it wants to porpoise. i've tried trimming the motor to all different angles but it still will not plane properly. could this be too much prop or the wrong prop as anything under 3000 rpm will start this boat to porpoise and fall under plane if you understand what i am trying to explain. any help would be greatly appreciated.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you for the reply. it took some serious ingenuity to get it all back together but with the help of my better half it was accomplished. we bought this boat under the assurance of the seller that it was "good to go", insert donkey head and heehaw heehaw, that is the reason for me not being on this site or any site for that matter we finally got it on the water to enjoy last weekend. the only draw back is this boat wants to go over 30 on plane and i'm having a hard time getting it to plane @ 20 -25 mph as it wants to porpoise. i've tried trimming the motor to all different angles but it still will not plane properly. could this be too much prop or the wrong prop as anything under 3000 rpm will start this boat to porpoise and fall under plane if you understand what i am trying to explain.

That engine should have a 2 piece lower cowl which comes off with just a few bolts, making access to the shift linkage very easy.

As far as your handling issue, what prop is on it now? And what's your speed and rpm's at wide-open-throttle? It kind of sounds like your boat is propped for top speed running, which doesn't sound like what you want.