1995 Johnson 130hp runs crappy

Lk40hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can't seem to quite figure this thing out. It's a 1995 johnson 130hp Looper. Starts and idles good, but...
1. idle is quite high (approx 1600 in neutral on water). Odd because throttle is isn't even touching roller for butterflies on the carb, and it makes no difference with idle screws completely closed or at 2,3,4,5 etc turns out
2. Seems doggy on acceleration, and only pulls about 4100 rpm

Odd thing is with hood and airbox off it runs better, not so doggy and wot rpm is increased a little bit.

Has 120psi on all 4, spark on all 4, new plugs, cleaned carbs...

Any thoughts? I'm stumped.

It's on an 18ft bass boat with 22p prop

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
22P prop might be too tall. Is that original prop, and how was performance.

But check for exhaust leak into hood.

Sounds like a link and synch is in order.

Lk40hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
22P prop might be too tall. Is that original prop, and how was performance.

But check for exhaust leak into hood.

Sounds like a link and synch is in order.
Bought the boat with that prop not running, boats a low slung little bass boat, should do more than 36mph even with that prop right?

No exhaust leaks under hood...

Anyone have the info on how to link/sync? Assuming that's adjusting linkage and spark advance?

Lk40hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there something broken in the adjustment here?

Attachments

• 20220601_154648.jpg
    20220601_154648.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Some motors with props with too much pitch run real bad. Like starting out in 3rd gear on a stick shift. I do not know the gear ratio of that motor offhand.

A service manual will tell you how to link and synch, and may ID any linkage issues.

I would use a prop wizard to see if your prop is in the ballpark for that engine/boat combo.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like someone was trying to set the Timing like it used to be done on a Auto/Truck.
The Timing is what determines the Idle Speed, and it will vary due to a lot of Factors, even the Pitch of the Prop will affect the setting
As mentioned above, a Link and Sync needs to be done, and the Max Timing Advance checked and adjusted if need be

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes that linkage was broken and has a repair / work around on it.----Do not use mixture screw to try and change idle RPM.----Done with timing on these motors.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Yes that linkage was broken and has a repair / work around on it.----Do not use mixture screw to try and change idle RPM.----Done with timing on these motors.
Can you please advise on the ball park figure for the mixture settings please Al ?

Lk40hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, piston stop tool and new linkage just came in the mail.

I've seem some posts about doing all the adjustments while cranking the motor, anyone know if that would be a decent idea?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joe Reeves -4 method. seems to work well for me. on these motors, cam roller needs to be in line with the hash mark on throttle cam, then idle screw turned 1/2 in for .010'' clearance or so. Idle timing around 5 degrees atdc at that moment. if its not idling well at 5 degrees atdc and all plates are closed, your issue is elsewhere